Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lavazza espresso

Options
  • 13-12-2019 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭

Just curious what people think of Lavazza espresso?

I purchased large bag in Tesco because it had good reviews on Amazon.

I'm not very impressed after one cup last night but I won't waste it :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

I wouldn't be a big fan of it at home, but we used to order Lavazza Super Crema in bulk for our office machine in a previous workplace and it was definitely drinkable. Are you buying ground coffee or do you have a way to grind at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Bawnmore wrote: »
    I wouldn't be a big fan of it at home, but we used to order Lavazza Super Crema in bulk for our office machine in a previous workplace and it was definitely drinkable. Are you buying ground coffee or do you have a way to grind at home?

It's beans.

I grind myself and mostly use aeropress and Moka pot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

IrishHomer wrote: »

I'm not a fan really, it's extremely popular in Italy but even there it's mundane. There's a lot of good coffees out there, no need to suffer!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

This afternoon in a Carrefour shop in southern europe

crema e guesto €2.13
    cafe espresso (ground) €2.60

( 250gm packs ) less than half normal Irl price ? .

No wonder its popular in some parts :D

Price charged in Ireland need not be related to value of product ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

0lddog wrote: »
    This afternoon in a Carrefour shop in southern europe

crema e guesto €2.13
    cafe espresso (ground) €2.60

( 250gm packs ) less than half normal Irl price ? .

No wonder its popular in some parts :D

Price charged in Ireland need not be related to value of product ;)

Spain or Italy are way cheaper than Ireland in general it's not just coffee. We also earn higher wages on average. I buy all my coffee online now. Cheaper and better quality than anything in supermarkets here, this is the site I use: https://ravecoffee.co.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭dball

i bought the Lavazza super crema a few times now ( normally the 1kg bags) from discountcoffee
    I liked them enough to buy them again and again.
    Last week i also bought the Lavazza Gold - Didn't like it and wont be ordering it again. I've a selection of their houseblends too and am working my way through them, not bad in fairness,

But i'm content with the Lavazza - Its a espresso coffee bean so i'm not sure what results you should be getting w an aeropress or mokapot.
    Im grinding at 2 on a B2C Delongi machine and getting great results for americanos and cappuccinos :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yep I like it. Always have a bag o beans at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bykobap

Lavazza Rossa 2×250g + 1×250g free is €7 in local Dunnes stores. 750g for €7 not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

At the moment Lavazza Rossa 1KG BEAN. 25% off in tesco so costs €11.99.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Spain or Italy are way cheaper than Ireland in general it's not just coffee. We also earn higher wages on average. I buy all my coffee online now. Cheaper and better quality than anything in supermarkets here, this is the site I use: https://ravecoffee.co.uk/

could I ask you - what do you recommend from that site?

do they have a roasting date?

lastly are the shipping costs reasonable or do you need to order in bulk?

• Advertisement

glasso wrote: »
    could I ask you - what do you recommend from that site?

do they have a roasting date?

lastly are the shipping costs reasonable or do you need to order in bulk?

Yes they did have roasting date printed on the bags. The use by date was quite short but I found the beans were still good for a few weeks after it. Id recommed ordering the smaller bags unless you're a heavy coffee drinker. I only drink one cup in the mornings. I can't remember how much I use to pay for postage but it was reasonable. Haven't ordered from them since November. I've started finding nice coffee in a few shops around me now but ill definitely order from them again at some point. The espresso blend and chatswood blends were my favourites.

Yes they did have roasting date printed on the bags. The use by date was quite short but I found the beans were still good for a few weeks after it. Id recommed ordering the smaller bags unless you're a heavy coffee drinker. I only drink one cup in the mornings. I can't remember how much I use to pay for postage but it was reasonable. Haven't ordered from them since November. I've started finding nice coffee in a few shops around me now but ill definitely order from them again at some point. The espresso blend and chatswood blends were my favourites.

yes basically the coffee hipster mullahs dictate that the beans are best between one week after roasting and four weeks after.

three week window

I kept them in the fridge and they lasted a good few weeks past the use by date. Maybe my pallete isn't refined enough :pac: I used them in an aeropress and a stovetop coffee maker.

I kept them in the fridge and they lasted a good few weeks past the use by date. Maybe my pallete isn't refined enough :pac: I used them in an aeropress and a stovetop coffee maker.

you do notice a difference in espresso for sure in taste and the appearance of the coffee produced. I mean they are still usable but just not at their best. if you've never used decent freshly roasted beans you won't know the difference. I'm sure that the brew method does make a difference - espresso would be the least forgiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

glasso wrote: »
    you do notice a difference in espresso for sure in taste and the appearance of the coffee produced. I mean they are still usable but just not at their best. if you've never used decent freshly roasted beans you won't know the difference. I'm sure that the brew method does make a difference - espresso would be the least forgiving.

I definitely enjoyed the fresh beans, there is a big difference between them and other 'popular' brands. MY other half got some regular ones with a 6 month best before date. I brewed them and spat out the coffee, she likes it, but wouldnt be as big a coffee fan as me. I ground the 1kg of her beans and put them in a jar, and I keep the fresher stuff for myself.
    Ravecoffee is the best so far and great value. I've bought a few others du barr, essence etc, but they are not as good, and quite expensive in comparison.

Keep an eye out for killarney Roast, I had them last year, but am waiting until I finish my current batch before buying again. I think they are available in Supervalu.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Dharmacolm

IrishHomer wrote: »

This is an extremely late reply but here goes. Someone already described it as mundane. Thats fair. I would say its inoffensive and perfectly acceptable. Not terrible and not amazing. Its a reliable cup of coffee whatever way you brew it. There are many terrible coffees out there. This is not one of them. I have tried every coffee bean I can get including fresh roasted from Irish and english roasters. Many lean towards lighter roasts these days and refer to dark roast as burnt. Well I have discovered that Im an old fashion cowboy that always returns to dark roasted java. Lavazza expresso beans are just fine for a black cup of Joe.

Advertisement