Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement immersion timer

Options
  • 12-12-2019 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have one of these in my apartment.

The boost works well for a quick shower, but the timer function seems to be knackered, which is a real pain in the winter because there is no hot water ready in the mornings.
    Granted, I usually wake up at 3am for a slash, so can pop the boost on - but far from ideal. Girlfriend nearly lost the plot when I actually slept through the entire night (miracle) and she wanted a shower.

Can anyone recommend a more modern replacement interface and indicative costs for installation? As you can probably tell, I'm clueless with heating/ plumbing stuff, but would really love to get rid of the E7, maybe even something with an app can can set timers remotely.

Any advice is most welcomed, for the good of my health! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

So I did some research, and looks like these are super easy to install... Gonna give it a bash.

(I'll read instructions carefully obviously, and knock the power off).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0031SCQMI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

GrumPy wrote: »
    So I did some research, and looks like these are super easy to install... Gonna give it a bash.

(I'll read instructions carefully obviously, and knock the power off).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0031SCQMI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just be sure it’s the clock that’s faulty and not the immersion itself

meercat wrote: »
    Just be sure it’s the clock that’s faulty and not the immersion itself

Thanks. So I installed it last night, and tested the boost function and it worked fine (Missus had shower last night).

However, I also set the timer to start heating the water at 05:00, so that when we wake up by 07:00 ish, there would be hot water. This didn't work. So it appears that the old manual time may not have been broken afterall, as the timer doesn't work on the new digital model either.

Any thoughts on this? I suspect the old unit may have been wired wrong or something, and despite following the instructions to connect the new timer correctly, and the boost working for hot water (as it did for the previous unit), the timer feature remains non-functional.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Most likely the fault is with the immersion element.
    Do you have two separate immersion heaters on the side of the hot water cylinder?

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Most likely the fault is with the immersion element.
    Do you have two separate immersion heaters on the side of the hot water cylinder?

In my ignorance, I'm not able to answer that question - but I will post a photo later! Thanks.

EDIT: I found this, which is exactly my issue and same timer/ immersion control hardware. Getting someone over on Sat to inspect.

https://www.mybuilder.com/questions/v/35233/immersion-boiler-no-hot-water-overnight,-but-boost-works-fine?fbclid=IwAR18-UfsimsBljZrOL2OJEWYm8meDqN4465Ir7bcAF8ndW-ftHsvqu1UNuI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

You say your apartment immersion so most likely you have 2 elements in your cylinder in the hot press. Follow the cables that lead to the tank.
    The problem is with the bottom one.
    Check that the high limit stat hasn’t tripped.
    Take the cover off and post a photo and someone will point it out to you or search boards for previous threads

Turn power off whilst doing this

Advertisement