Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landline Phone and Broadband

Options
  • 11-12-2019 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi folks. I just switched to Vodafone Fibre broadband (Gigabit modem) and they are saying my old homephone/ landline phone is not compatible for use anymore. The Vodafone helpline stated I needed a "VoIP dect phone". I recently bought a Cisco VoIP landline but needed Poe (power over ethernet) so have returned it. If anyone could send some links to compatible "VoIP dect phones", it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭dam099

Hi folks. I just switched to Vodafone Fibre broadband (Gigabit modem) and they are saying my old homephone/ landline phone is not compatible for use anymore. The Vodafone helpline stated I needed a "VoIP dect phone". I recently bought a Cisco VoIP landline but needed Poe (power over ethernet) so have returned it. If anyone could send some links to compatible "VoIP dect phones", it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

FFS totally useless Tech Support.

10 seconds on Google throws up this https://n.vodafone.ie/content/dam/gowingmyself/site-structure/support/vodafone-gigabox-vox3_user-guide.doc

On P7: Tel 1/2 Ports - Use the RJ11 cables to connect analog phones for VoIP service

I have the older HG659 and it defo works with normal phones, the Gigabox should too per above.

Edit: Unless your modem is in an unsuitable location and you are trying to make an extension live? Should still be doable but may be a bit trickier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Eternalangel

Hey thanks for the reply. I did try plug the RJ11 cables into the Tel 1/2 ports on the modem but the phone line was still dead. Do you know if anything has to go into the DSL port? Perhaps the modem may be in an unsuitable location. I haven't heard of making an extension live but I will look into it. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭dam099

Hey thanks for the reply. I did try plug the RJ11 cables into the Tel 1/2 ports on the modem but the phone line was still dead. Do you know if anything has to go into the DSL port? Perhaps the modem may be in an unsuitable location. I haven't heard of making an extension live but I will look into it. Thanks again

When you log into the router admin page can you see a tab for telephone? Check if the service is actually showing as online. I had some problems at the start where the router wasn't even provisioned for the VOIP.

If they tell you again you need a VOIP phone ask them for the SIP credentials (which would be needed to use a 3rd party VOIP phone) and let me know how you get on. I'd prefer get those and ditch their router but by all accounts they dont give them out.

By making an extension live what I meant was if you have extensions in other rooms away from where your old PSTN line came in they are likely linked to the master socket with RJ11 cable. I have heard of people plugging an RJ11 from Tel1/2 into the old master socket and being able to use the extensions but if you cant get a ringtone on a direct line to their router first that wont work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Is this OpenEir or SIRO FTTH?

If it's openeir, is the old landline still connected? It costs Vodafone extra to provide a PSTN line so they want you to switch to the broadband VOIP service but if the VOIP doesn't work as it should, ask VF about retaining the old landline. Certain equipment that works with PSTN may not work with VOIP (eg house alarm) but check with VF...that's if you trust them to give accurate information. Request the option to revert to the PSTN line if VOIP doesn't work fully.

If they won't allow retention of the old landline and they won't give the SIP login credentials then connecting the old phone master socket (or any other connected phone socket) to the router is the best option (as long as the incoming landline is inactive).

It means that you need to use the phone socket on the router they provide in order to use the phone unless they give the SIP login details for a separate VOIP phone. In fact a separate VOIP phone won't work without the SIP login details so it would be a waste buying one in that instance.

If VF provide the SIP login details it's possible to use the phone via a smartphone app over WiFi...it might only work via home WiFi as they may block external access to their SIP server.

First thing to do is get VF to ensure that they have actually enabled VOIP on your line and in the router...and ask for the SIP login details.

If it's SIRO FTTH, the PSTN option is most likely not available.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Does the router have a phone socket?
    If so then a standard analogue phone will plug in there or a DECT base station if you wish.

Routers provided by some ISPs have a DECT system built in, but also have the option for an analogue phone connection (Frtiz!Box router for example).

Essentially, if the router has a RJ11 socket for a phone then it can be treated (from the hardware perspective) the same as the main phone socket from the copper line.

You will of course have to enter the correct credentials in the router to have it connect to the VOIP provider's "phone" service.

• Advertisement
Advertisement