Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Belgian Beers

Options
  • 11-12-2019 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I know that some Belgian beers use yeasts that cause sourness and can require their own brewing equipment to avoid contamination, but is that the case for all Belgian beers? Would a dubbel or tripel carry the same warnings?

Many thanks,
    RN

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭gtothek

No, its only the sours or lambics that would cause this. Any dubbel, or tripel would be the same as brewing a standard ale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Yesterday I started my first homebrew, a basic coopers kit for a Canadian Blonde. I hope to some day have the equipment and knowledge to be able to brew my own Belgian style tripels and quads, those are my favourite beers. Keep us posted on how you get on if you go ahead with a Belgian brew!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

There are plenty of decent Belgian style kits on the market. The method is pretty much the same as the Canadian Blonde, and the results will be much better. Blonde ales are difficult to brew, tripels aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

BeerNut wrote: »
    There are plenty of decent Belgian style kits on the market. The method is pretty much the same as the Canadian Blonde, and the results will be much better. Blonde ales are difficult to brew, tripels aren't.

Thanks for that, I'll definitely look into a Belgian kit. I had to choose from the limited options on the starter package on HBW so I went for the Canadian blonde. So far so good, fermenting happily on day 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Apologies for not getting back to this thread.
    I brewed the Brewferm Belgian Triple and it was quite good. Drank a few bottles of it too early and have a few stored away for a few months and will try them after the summer.

As was posted above, same method as the above kits.

• Advertisement
Advertisement