Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A/C Won't Go Onto Heat Mode

Options
  • 11-12-2019 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi again,

Back with another A/C question, I have a General split system (No inverter) that will not go onto heat mode - I think it could be the indoor board but I just thought i'd pick a few brains here before I make the call. I have replaced the solenoid coil as I originally thought this was the issue because the unit heats if I have a magnet on the solenoid valve but with the new coil I still have the issue. Checked probes on indoor and they're fine. Gas pressures are good too.It's an R22. It is an old system and has a few other problems with it anyway but I'd like to narrow this particular issue down for curiosity's sake.

Few things
    - The board has power and is sending power from indoor to outdoor.

- It's an old general model with a universal remote and I think that some of their models original remotes have a manual dip switch thingy under the battery cover for changing to heating from cooling (could be an issue)

-The compressor hard starts a lot (like I said old)

-Does work on heating when I apply a magnet to the reversing valve.

Anyone any thoughts - i think maybe the reversing valve or the indoor PCB.

Thanks guys
    B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭al2009

It can't be the valve if it works with magnet, these older units had a B or O feed to the valve, check this is powered, if not it's indoor board. BTW you know it's illegal to service an R22 unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭userfriendly2

al2009 wrote: »
    It can't be the valve if it works with magnet, these older units had a B or O feed to the valve, check this is powered, if not it's indoor board. BTW you know it's illegal to service an R22 unit?

Yeah I'm thinking the indoor board myself. I've an original remote coming tomorrow just to rule that out. These General units are finicky enough like that. If that doesn't work I'll swap out the board and see how that goes.
    The R22 phase out isn't until 2030 where I am so I'm covered legally. Wish it was phased out though because it would mean some nice clean new 410A units to work with. It's mostly R22 here and the units are ancient.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭al2009

Fair enough, thought you were here, hope you're somewhere warm:))

How many wires come from the indoor, one of them may be the solenoid change over?

Advertisement