Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can my Laptop run computer games?

Options
  • 10-12-2019 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi I would like to get either
    GTA V or Red Dead Redemption 2 for my laptop but clueless when it comes to these things.

My laptop is a LENOVO ideapad 310

I do have the Sims 4 on this laptop, so it is capable of playing some games.
    How do i know if my laptop is capable of playing these games before i buy them?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Renno123

sugarman wrote: »
    The model number alone doesnt tell us anything, you need to list the actual specs e.g CPU, RAM, Dedicated or Interated Graphics.

where do i find those?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Probably not, it has integrated graphics and a low-mid range processor.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Renno123

tedpan wrote: »
    Probably not, it has integrated graphics and a low-mid range processor.

ah thanks, shame but better off knowing than buying it and it not working.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Renno123 wrote: »
    ah thanks, shame but better off knowing than buying it and it not working.

try downloading a playable demo to see if that works

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Cyclonius

As per Sugarman, we'd need the actual specs of the laptop in order to give a definitive answer, as there can be several different configurations of a laptop, at different price points.

I've had a quick google, however, and the Lenovo website gives me the following details for the Ideapad 310:
    https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/laptops/ideapad/300-series/Ideapad-310-15/p/88IP3000719

It mentions the AMD Radeon R5 M430 2 GB as being an optional GPU for your machine. Per the information given here, including game benchmarks, I would be doubtful that you'd have great results with your machine. I couldn't see Red Dead 2 being anywhere near playable. GTA 5 might be somewhat playable (at around 30 frames per second, at low detail), depending on the exact configuration of your laptop (i.e. if it has the Radeon GPU, and not integrated graphics, which I'm not sure it does), but I'm not sure how optimistic I'd be, and that's assuming I have the details for the correct laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Check out this website it will let you know what games you can play just pick what game you wish to play and it will let you know.

https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

At best you might get by playing GTA on lowest possible settings if you have an i3 or i5 processer with integrated graphics but not a hope of playing red dead 2.

Sims 4 would run on a potato, GTA is way more demanding and red dead, literally about 10 times more demanding than Sims 4.

You would probably want a 700 euro gaming orientated laptop at a minimum to play red dead on low-medium settings.

Advertisement