Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asylum Seeker Looking to Refund Social Money

Options
  • 10-12-2019 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Dear friends,
    I was a Asylum seeker in the past and now i got leave to remain
    in the Ireland.
    When i was on Asylum i was receiving social money every weeks
    But as now i am working I would like to return that money to the social so other people on Asylum can benefit with this money.
    Other day i went to local benefits office and ask them they have no clue regarding this situation.
    Could anyone please guide me how could i start this process and whom i need to primarily contact to start returning social money.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

sanamkhan wrote: »
    Dear friends,
    I was a Asylum seeker in the past and now i got leave to remain
    in the Ireland.
    When i was on Asylum i was receiving social money every weeks
    But as now i am working I would like to return that money to the social so other people on Asylum can benefit with this money.
    Other day i went to local benefits office and ask them they have no clue regarding this situation.
    Could anyone please guide me how could i start this process and whom i need to primarily contact to start returning social money.

Thanks

You can’t give it back to SW but you can give it to a local charity that you trust if you want . St V DePaul can do with funds this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Can we make that person Minister for social welfare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

If this is a legitimate post then wow OP, how lovely of you to want to help others.

Repaying social welfare does not happen here but you could find some of the charities working with other asylum seekers and maybe arrange donating to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

splinter65 wrote: »
    You can’t give it back to SW but you can give it to a local charity that you trust if you want . St V DePaul can do with funds this time of year.

The Vino's are a great shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sanamkhan

Well thanks for all for your kind comment.
    Its definitely works and they accept it as i seen someone in the past returning money to social welfare.
    But i don’t know how to start the process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If this is a serious post then that man deserves a medal for honesty and integrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Its definitely works and they accept it as i seen someone in the past returning money to social welfare.

That's usually when they have been paid by mistake, it's taken from them gradually. However you're earning money and paying your taxes, which will already help others.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

If this is a legitimate post then wow OP, how lovely of you to want to help others.

Repaying social welfare does not happen here but you could find some of the charities working with other asylum seekers and maybe arrange donating to them.
    Tried to do this in UK as I had started working and they paid me for two extra weeks. Far too much admin they said, so they told me to keep it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,538 ✭✭✭✭banie01

As others have posted, if this is a genuine post!
    It is a lovely sentiment, and a great way to see a person adopting Ireland as home.

As others have also said, there is no way to "pay back" SW that was paid in circumstances where the claimant was entitled to the payment.
    I'd agree with the others in that the Saint Vincent De Paul would be a very worthy charity to donate to if you have the surplus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Ah come on guys, 2 posts ever ........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

It's not really refunding money if you're deciding where it goes. Why not stop a few people in the street who struggle to pay bills because of high income tax, and give the money to them instead? After all, that's where the cash came from (lest we forget)

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Dont worry, you will pay it back in multiples through the tax system.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 nigra

The best thing to do is to make out a bank transfer/draft to Exchequer Section, Department of Finance. You can get contact details for the Dept of finance online.
    It will be treated as a contribution to the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭victor8600

...But as now i am working I would like to return that money to the social...

If you work legitimately, you are paying PRSI (Pay-Related Social Insurance) so in effect you are returning the money.

Live long, prosper and pay (more) taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Nah just nah

If this is a serious post then that man deserves a medal for honesty and integrity.

How do you know its a man?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

What you saw was someone repaying money that they got by mistake.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement