Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

full disclosure

Options
  • 10-12-2019 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi All-this is a bit of a academic question that I cant find the answer to.

If someone is suing the government (Im not, don't worry-wouldn't have the money or the time!) do they have to submit all relevant documents at the start of the case to show that they have a case to the defending side? Some friends and I were discussing this about someone we know and google isn't helping me? even if I could be just pointed to a link that would answer that would be perfect.

Thanks All

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

No you can bring any case and don't need to back up your claims at the beginning.

However once a defence has been lodged the other side can request discovery of the documents behind the claim and you are obliged to provide them with any reasonable requests.

If discovery shows there is no basis to the claim they can apply to have the matter struck out and possible try and have their expenses paid due to the frivolous nature

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

See it this way - the onus of proof lies on the plaintiff.
    For a civil action the standard of proof is the balance of probabilities i.e something is at least 51% more likely than not.
    Fail to reach the required standard of proof at hearing and the plaintiff might end up having their case struck out without the defence even having to open their case.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

In relation to discovery do not forget that not everything is actually discoverable as you will see from discovery applications that are wholly or partly fishing expeditions.

Advertisement