Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

toll tag

  • 09-12-2019 9:16am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭ obi604


    hello

    I do about 15 trips per year where I would use a toll tag. so lets say 30 x toll interactions per year. Galway > Waterford (via limerick) Galway > Dublin

    Is it worth while or cheaper to get a toll tag?


Comments

  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 61,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭ L1011


    There are no discounts except on the M50 which it would seem you aren't crossing; so you would be paying for convenience rather than getting any discounts.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭ obi604


    thanks for reply.
    out of interest, how many options exist for tags?

    and is there any one company cheaper over the other.


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 61,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭ L1011


    There's four - easytrip, eflow, directroute and tolltag.ie. The base tolls are identical but the service charges/fees are different and work out differently depending on how you use it. I find eFlow direct debit post-pay is cheapest for my usage

    TollTag.ie has two options that are only useful for M50 users where they charge 10% on top of each toll which is still cheaper than a video account; but would cost you a lot of money needlessly so avoid those.

    http://www.etoll.ie/getting-a-tag/irish-tag-companies/ has all the pricing options.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭ obi604


    thank you L1011


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭ obi604


    L1011 wrote: »
    There's four - easytrip, eflow, directroute and tolltag.ie. The base tolls are identical but the service charges/fees are different and work out differently depending on how you use it. I find eFlow direct debit post-pay is cheapest for my usage

    TollTag.ie has two options that are only useful for M50 users where they charge 10% on top of each toll which is still cheaper than a video account; but would cost you a lot of money needlessly so avoid those.

    http://www.etoll.ie/getting-a-tag/irish-tag-companies/ has all the pricing options.


    I’m with easytrip and they charge me 63 cent every time I top up my balance. Annoying.

    Anyone know another crowd that does not charge this fee?


    It’s the principle of it now. I asked any more charge on top of the service charge and they said no and only when I poked they mentioned the top up charge.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,297 ✭✭✭✭ _Kaiser_


    obi604 wrote: »
    I’m with easytrip and they charge me 63 cent every time I top up my balance. Annoying.

    Anyone know another crowd that does not charge this fee?


    It’s the principle of it now. I asked any more charge on top of the service charge and they said no and only when I poked they mentioned the top up charge.

    As L1011 says, I too use eFlow's post-paid DD option. One bill, every month. Done.

    As a general rule though I avoid any kind of PAYG business model anyway, or even DD where it's not a known fixed amount each month. I hate random draws on my account or unexpected amounts being just taken.

    Two advantages to this IMO

    1. You don't need to be paying multiple service fees, or maintaining a float with the provider that they are making still more cash on

    2. When the provider inevitably f*cks up the DD and overcharges, your exposure is limited rather than the "ah yea we'll credit it back next month" shyte

    It's the same reason why my ESB and Gas is paid at a fixed amount each month. No need to worry about massive bills in winter, and by late summer it's all in credit again.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭ BowWow


    Previously had easytrip and they charged me a monthly fee, even if I never used the tag.
    I now use Toll Tag. It's like a prepaid phone, you top up and they charge an uplift when you actually go through a toll. Works on all tolls. Very handy for someone who rarely uses toll roads.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭ obi604


    This is what I want, no hidden fees, no service charges, no admin fees etc.

    I just want to pay for using it without al these bloody fees.

    Hate all these bloody fees. They are probably raking it in so I don’t want to add to the pile.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭ ratracer


    I’d be like yourself, travel Gal - Dub every month or so. I’m with eFlow. It’s €1 month tag rental/ service charge then pay per use via monthly DD. I’ve had a tag for 3-4 years now, never had a problem with overcharging. Have found them good to deal with also when changing cars etc.

    It’s the convenience of the express lane that I I think is worth paying for, with two tolls in each direction and also Limerick tunnel is another route I would use often enough.
    Tolls are a pain in the hoop, but hey, they’re here to stay, so might as well make life a little easier.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭ obi604


    I like convenience of a tag and all this.
    Just hate the admin fees and any other fees.

    Is there any company that just provides a tag and only costs are for use of the tolls you use.......end of........ No admin fees, no topup fees, no service fees etc.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭ Carawaystick


    ratracer wrote: »
    I’m with eFlow. It’s €1 month tag rental/ service charge then pay per use via monthly DD.

    Its 1.23 per month after they add vat, but that's who I'm with.
    you save a euro on each trip over the westlink on the m50,
    so you might be just paying for convienence, if you don't use this.


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 61,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭ L1011


    obi604 wrote: »
    I like convenience of a tag and all this.
    Just hate the admin fees and any other fees.

    Is there any company that just provides a tag and only costs are for use of the tolls you use.......end of........ No admin fees, no topup fees, no service fees etc.

    No, because that wouldnt be financially viable


  • Registered Users Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭ ELM327


    Its 1.23 per month after they add vat, but that's who I'm with.
    you save a euro on each trip over the westlink on the m50,
    so you might be just paying for convienence, if you don't use this.
    I usually have between 2-4 cars on my tag account. 4-6 quid a month for the convenience of not having to worry about cash/card for the toll is worth it.


    We take the m3 twice daily and the m50 twice a day at the weekends.


    We're with eflow as they were cheapest


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭ obi604


    BowWow wrote: »
    Previously had easytrip and they charged me a monthly fee, even if I never used the tag.
    I now use Toll Tag. It's like a prepaid phone, you top up and they charge an uplift when you actually go through a toll. Works on all tolls. Very handy for someone who rarely uses toll roads.


    Hi. What do you mean by uplift?


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 61,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭ L1011


    They add 10% to every toll. Its only suitable for an extremely low use scenario


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭ BowWow


    obi604 wrote: »
    Hi. What do you mean by uplift?
    L1011 wrote: »
    They add 10% to every toll. Its only suitable for an extremely low use scenario
    What he said :p

    I use it for two reasons - 1. I have very low annual usage on toll roads, and 2. There is the convenience of not looking for change, small notes etc, you can just use the fast lane...


Advertisement