Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with stove - air inlet

Options
  • 08-12-2019 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭

I'm unable to open the bottom air inlet on my stove (see pic).

It is stuck solid - think it may have come off its threads.

Any ideas how to get it open?

I am planning on getting a vice grips to try and open it with (can't get a strong grip on it at the moment).
    Would anyone know whether I should turn it right or left to open it if I can move it with the vice grips?
    I don't want to tighten it any further by accident.

Thanks in advance for any help I get and apols if the above is a stupid question....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

I'm unable to open the bottom air inlet on my stove (see pic).

It is stuck solid - think it may have come off its threads.

Any ideas how to get it open?

I am planning on getting a vice grips to try and open it with (can't get a strong grip on it at the moment).
    Would anyone know whether I should turn it right or left to open it if I can move it with the vice grips?
    I don't want to tighten it any further by accident.

Thanks in advance for any help I get and apols if the above is a stupid question....

Turn it to the left to loosen it....righty tighty,lefty loosey. remember that!:)
    You can also use a hammer and tool like a chisel or hard stick and give the top of the protruding metal strip on the vent a strong tap to the left

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

upupup wrote: »
    Turn it to the left to loosen it....righty tighty,lefty loosey. remember that!:)
    You can also use a hammer and tool like a chisel or hard stick and give the top of the protruding metal strip on the vent a strong tap to the left

Thank you! The rhyme helps!

I tried to tap it with a hammer a little while ago, to no avail. Vice Grips is plan B (I have to go buy one)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Light the stove. Likely you burned some plastic that has melted and then set again bonding it closed.

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Light the stove. Likely you burned some plastic that has melted and then set again bonding it closed.

I tried to open it previously when lit - unable.....

Never burnt anything but wood in the stove

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

spray wd40 onto the threads on the inside. leave that soak in and get the stove fairly hot. then try to open it with an adjustable spanner to catch the knob

• Advertisement

spray wd40 onto the threads on the inside. leave that soak in and get the stove fairly hot. then try to open it with an adjustable spanner to catch the knob

Will give the WD40 a try. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Do as another poster said, get a piece of hardwood and a hammer and tap the protruding strip anti-clockwise. Do NOT use a chisel or piece of steel.
    Do it only when the stove is cold. It jammed in the first place because somebody closed it too tightly when it was hot, naturally it expanded as did the threads and when it cooled down it stuck solid.
    Use the WD40 on the threads and also where the wheel face meets the door, when cold, allow to soak in for a few hours and start tapping.
    I've previously used brake fluid instead of WD and found it more effective but it's very important not to get it on your skin or eyes.
    let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

If possible get another person to tap the opposite lug at the same time that you are. This should help to keep the screw turning centrally.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

washman3 wrote: »
    Do as another poster said, get a piece of hardwood and a hammer and tap the protruding strip anti-clockwise. Do NOT use a chisel or piece of steel.
    Do it only when the stove is cold. It jammed in the first place because somebody closed it too tightly when it was hot, naturally it expanded as did the threads and when it cooled down it stuck solid.
    Use the WD40 on the threads and also where the wheel face meets the door, when cold, allow to soak in for a few hours and start tapping.
    I've previously used brake fluid instead of WD and found it more effective but it's very important not to get it on your skin or eyes.
    let us know how you get on.

why are you reconmending doing it when cold. everything you see about opening tight bolts etc tells you to heatit up to expand the nut

I got it open!!!

Thanks all!

Combo of WD4 and some tapping eventually did the trick

• Advertisement
Advertisement