Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub serving hours

Options
  • 08-12-2019 5:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,849 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Don't be a dick, just forget about it. They're called regulars for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

cav93 wrote: »
    So with clear evidence do I stand any chance of getting this licencee convicted of serving after hours? After all it is illegal.

Yes, you do. But the question is why would you?

It was a dickish thing to serve them after refusing to serve you and I'm sure you feel angry about it. However in the cold light of the next day when your anger fades and you are thinking more clearly.......would you still want to report him?

You could potentially do a lot of damage to his business. The punishment doesn't fit the crime. Let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Oh the humiliation.

Sue them for psychological damage - get the right gp and the right solicitor and it's worth 50k

That's what most dicks would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Hi all. Asking for all answers in this case. Recently in the local, after hours just passed and asked for another drink for to wait for the taxi to arrive to go home. Bar man Refused, so admitted fair enough. What angered me really was a few of the "more regulars" were served no problem at all, very discreetly. Funny thing about this is, I managed to be clever here and quickly recorded this action on video camera of the bar man handing over pints and taking cash at 2am, standard pub, no club licence etc. Now I don't want to be a grass, but I do feel humiliated being refused a drink 15 mins prior. So with clear evidence do I stand any chance of getting this licencee convicted of serving after hours? After all it is illegal.

If I owned a pub, I'd bar you straight away. That's the self-entitled crap that is killing what is left of a dying trade. And you think you were "clever" recording it all? All that will do is get you a hammering if the bar loses its licence.

You need to either grow up and accept it or learn to order extra drink before closing time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Hi all. Asking for all answers in this case. Recently in the local, after hours just passed and asked for another drink for to wait for the taxi to arrive to go home. Bar man Refused, so admitted fair enough. What angered me really was a few of the "more regulars" were served no problem at all, very discreetly. Funny thing about this is, I managed to be clever here and quickly recorded this action on video camera of the bar man handing over pints and taking cash at 2am, standard pub, no club licence etc. Now I don't want to be a grass, but I do feel humiliated being refused a drink 15 mins prior. So with clear evidence do I stand any chance of getting this licencee convicted of serving after hours? After all it is illegal.
    What I do is pre empt that stuff by making sure there's always a few cans in the fridge at home. As a wise Cork man said once, fail to prepare means you prepare to fail. And ditch the footage. As a fella who worked behind bars there's nothing worse than someone filming you whilst at work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,321 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Remember if this get's out no pub really would want you on their premises because they'll be thinking what will he try and get us in trouble for!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Just remember op.
    Snitches get stitches and proper regulars get more pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Gloucester

Nothing worse than someone filming you at work. Just accept it and move on. Yes it's illegal but remember you filmed them out of anger that you were left out.......of the illegal behaviour. :confused:

Also being there to film it, meant that you were knowingly on the premises after hours.

The pub trade is dying and your actions could have huge consequences for the family who own the business. Behind every small local pub there are multiple families dependent on it for income.

Move on, find another local that will serve you late if that's what you're interested in or else just forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Humiliated?

Get over yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭stayback

This has to be one of the more worrying aspects of modern life. Fair enough you didn’t get a drink while you were waiting a taxi and regulars did but to then film it and come onto a public forum and suggest you should prosecute the publician.You obviously aren’t a regular pub goer cause if you were you first of all would understand the pub is a dying trade and a pub owner must look after his regulars who probably stuck by him through thick and thin.

To actually think you were clever in filming it come on . I grew up in a family run pub if I saw you filming me behind the bar I would first of all bar you and the circulate your name to all the nearby pubs and tell them what you were doing.
    You are willing to put the livelihood of a whole family in jeopardy just because you couldn’t get a drink. Grow up a bit. Maybe become a regular in the pub and see how a local pub actually operates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

OP, go for it, sounds like a harrowing experience for you and thankfully you had the moment of clarity to whip out the mobile.

You sound like great craic and the kick up the hole this publican no doubt requires

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

What I do is pre empt that stuff by making sure there's always a few cans in the fridge at home. As a wise Cork man said once, fail to prepare means you prepare to fail. And ditch the footage. As a fella who worked behind bars there's nothing worse than someone filming you whilst at work.

Benjamin Franklin is from Cork , the US president, I suppose you're going to tell us he played for UTD too.

Anyways, OP you're clearly badly traumatised, go legal , most likely PTSD and whiplash. Easy 60k for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Benjamin Franklin is from Cork , the US president, I suppose you're going to tell us he played for UTD too.

Anyways, OP you're clearly badly traumatised, go legal , most likely PTSD and whiplash. Easy 60k for ya.
    I was only taking the piss. It wasn't a serious post.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Can't wait to hear your reasoning to your solicitor or the judge as to why you were in a public house (not a late bar or disco ) at two o'clock in the morning. filming the barman.
    You had better come up with a better one than "I was waiting on a taxi"as they wont believe you either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

You sound too immature to be allowed out unsupervised, especially in a pub. Are you aware that you sound like such a dramatic entitled child.

Ben Franklin borrowed it from a Cork man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

This has to be the 7th worst thread on boards, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Thank gawd for quotes!

Forget it OP. You were refused a pint, as a none regular, whilst waiting on a taxi. Better option would have been to buy a few few closed bottles to drink at home, or just move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Seeing as the OP has been deleted it looks like he HAS moved on.

Stupid idea but he seems to have come around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

1st world problems OP :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Collie D wrote: »
    Seeing as the OP has been deleted it looks like he HAS moved on.

Stupid idea but he seems to have come around.

Ha ha.
    He woke up almost sober and realised he embarrassed himself here.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭play4fun1

f.. the amount of boardies defending the barman/pub with excuse of "dying trade"
    there's about 8 different pubs/bars in my area, within 5 min walk of each over
    4 of them have opened in last 2-3 years - "dying trade" my ass

• Registered Users Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

This has to be the 7th worst thread on boards, ever.

What are the other 6 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

He was never president.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

This sounds like a ridiculous idea. Cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,849 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ha ha.
    He woke up almost sober and realised he embarrassed himself here.

I think most of us who drink and regularly post on here have done the same at some stage. I definitely have, pretty sure I got an infraction for a comment while sloshed one night. Looks worse when you delete it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I remember an almost identical thread a couple of years back. Did you take the footage on a smartwatch by any chance?
    Edit: Found it

Originally Posted by cryptocurrency View Post
    Went into a pub today, one I have only been in few times before in two years and I remembered both dates a durations and was with my other half and child.
    I don’t go there as I have to drive and it’s out of my way. Today I called in and ordered a glass of Guinness only to be refused and told I was in there a few months ago with another guy and was causing a fight. This surprised me as it’s not something I’ve ever done or been accused of, infact most people would laugh at that idea of me. I said to the bar man you have made a mistake, 100% there is no chance of this. He said there is CCTV footage of this incident and the landlord had it and said I was not to be served. I said what time was the landlord in..he said 7.30. I come back at 7.30, bar man said 8..waited till 8 till the landlord arrived. I asked the landlord for a word and explained the situation and he said that his barman said it was me and he will back his staff. I informed him I am certain it wasn’t me as I have never been in the place with friends or a friend and just a few flying visits with family when we pop into the veg shop next door. He said there was no CCTV and repeated he will back his staff. I said ask all your staff as they are the ones I have dealt with and he said he will come back to me. He then said he has a right to do what he likes and I will have to put up with it. I said I would speak with a solicitor and he just laughed saying “I’m insured” ..I sense this was just a chip at my UK accent.
    Now that this is clearly a mix up and he hasn’t an ounce of proof to his or his staffs claims is this slander or defamation of character if they still stick to this wild claim?
    I’m happy to consider contacting a solicitor as I can’t believe we live in a world where people can publicly point and people and make wild unsubstantiated claims about them.
    I feel for ya guy, but asking how much a pint of Heineken costs in bitcoin probably raised a few red flags.
    harry Bailey esq is online now Report Post
    (41) thanks from:
    12 element, Badly Drunk Boy, banie01, BelovedAunt, blanch152, CrankyHaus, daveyeh, deadlineday, drake70, Eathrin, EIREDriver, electro~bitch, For Forks Sake, Foxhound38, FoxyVixen, gerrybbadd, GoneHome, how.gareth, Jarren, jmayo, JoeyJJ, MarkY91, McGaggs, mcgucc22, Meleftone, mikemac2, mollygreene, Mrs OBumble, PaddyBomb, PARlance, Penn, Pintman Paddy Losty, Reati, Specialun, thefloss, Timberrrrrrrr, Truckermal, verycool, Vowel Movement, wexie, whiskeyman

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

stayback wrote: »
    This has to be one of the more worrying aspects of modern life. Fair enough you didn’t get a drink while you were waiting a taxi and regulars did but to then film it and come onto a public forum and suggest you should prosecute the publician.You obviously aren’t a regular pub goer cause if you were you first of all would understand the pub is a dying trade and a pub owner must look after his regulars who probably stuck by him through thick and thin.

To actually think you were clever in filming it come on . I grew up in a family run pub if I saw you filming me behind the bar I would first of all bar you and the circulate your name to all the nearby pubs and tell them what you were doing.
    You are willing to put the livelihood of a whole family in jeopardy just because you couldn’t get a drink. Grow up a bit. Maybe become a regular in the pub and see how a local pub actually operates.

Not only that, but to include in the original OP, 'Now I don't want to be a grass....'

Then don't grass. And delete the footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I remember an almost identical thread a couple of years back. Did you take the footage on a smartwatch by any chance?
    Edit: Found it

Originally Posted by cryptocurrency View Post
    Went into a pub today, one I have only been in few times before in two years and I remembered both dates a durations and was with my other half and child.
    I don’t go there as I have to drive and it’s out of my way. Today I called in and ordered a glass of Guinness only to be refused and told I was in there a few months ago with another guy and was causing a fight. This surprised me as it’s not something I’ve ever done or been accused of, infact most people would laugh at that idea of me. I said to the bar man you have made a mistake, 100% there is no chance of this. He said there is CCTV footage of this incident and the landlord had it and said I was not to be served. I said what time was the landlord in..he said 7.30. I come back at 7.30, bar man said 8..waited till 8 till the landlord arrived. I asked the landlord for a word and explained the situation and he said that his barman said it was me and he will back his staff. I informed him I am certain it wasn’t me as I have never been in the place with friends or a friend and just a few flying visits with family when we pop into the veg shop next door. He said there was no CCTV and repeated he will back his staff. I said ask all your staff as they are the ones I have dealt with and he said he will come back to me. He then said he has a right to do what he likes and I will have to put up with it. I said I would speak with a solicitor and he just laughed saying “I’m insured” ..I sense this was just a chip at my UK accent.
    Now that this is clearly a mix up and he hasn’t an ounce of proof to his or his staffs claims is this slander or defamation of character if they still stick to this wild claim?
    I’m happy to consider contacting a solicitor as I can’t believe we live in a world where people can publicly point and people and make wild unsubstantiated claims about them.
    I feel for ya guy, but asking how much a pint of Heineken costs in bitcoin probably raised a few red flags.
    harry Bailey esq is online now Report Post
    (41) thanks from:
    12 element, Badly Drunk Boy, banie01, BelovedAunt, blanch152, CrankyHaus, daveyeh, deadlineday, drake70, Eathrin, EIREDriver, electro~bitch, For Forks Sake, Foxhound38, FoxyVixen, gerrybbadd, GoneHome, how.gareth, Jarren, jmayo, JoeyJJ, MarkY91, McGaggs, mcgucc22, Meleftone, mikemac2, mollygreene, Mrs OBumble, PaddyBomb, PARlance, Penn, Pintman Paddy Losty, Reati, Specialun, thefloss, Timberrrrrrrr, Truckermal, verycool, Vowel Movement, wexie, whiskeyman

That actually sounds quite unreasonable on the pubs behalf.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Leave the OP alone, you might hurt his feelings and go crying next to the mods asking for ye to be given warnings.

Dont ye understand the op must have everything his way, what with his sense of entitlement, snotty attitude, obvious ignorance, and worst of all, a would be Rat.

How dare the publican look after his regulars first before some deluded upstarts whining at him at the closing them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement