Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving tank and cylinder to garage

Options
  • 07-12-2019 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Replacing the heating pipes in our house and while getting quotes one of the plumbers suggested we consider moving both our hot water cylinder (currently in upstairs hot press) and cold water tank (currently in attic) to our garage where the boiler is currently.

They advised the benefit would be the improved storage space in the hot press and if any of the tanks were to leak they would just affect the garage. Also easier to maintain as its all located at ground level.

Is this something that is regularly done? I'd never even thought of it tbh.

Attic is tiny so will never be a conversion even if the tank goes. One concern I have is that they're going to take a good bit of space and limits future garage conversion options.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

If done correctly it is a better way to go, but you will need an un-vented hot water cylinder and a decent pump set up.
    Or, depending on your hot water requirements, put in a water tank, pump and combi gas boiler arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭t8010789

I have my gas combi boiler in the garage/shed along with a cold water storage tank and a pump. I like that I don’t need to worry about carbon monoxide gases in the house if there was ever a leak. One downside is that it takes an increased amount of time to get hot water to the taps so it looses efficiency as a result. We did it as part of a 3 bed semi d house renovation. Ripped up the suspended floors downstairs and put in solid floors with underfloor heating and new rads upstairs.

Advertisement