Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Practice Swing in Bunker

  • 07-12-2019 11:04am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭ Snotty


    Yesterday Patrick Reed was caught improving his lie in a bunker but during that same incident he also took a practice swing in the bunker, he walked a couple of yards away, the far side of a little bush but still in the same bunker. even with the 2019 rules, that's not allowed, but no one said anything??


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭ GolfNut33


    What did he do? A practice swing is permitted in a bunker once you don't clip the sand.


  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭ champchamp


    He was penalised 2 shots for improving the lie of the ball.

    https://twitter.com/NotScTop10plays/status/1203042773340971008?s=19


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭ Snotty


    It looked to me like two separate rules breeches.
    1. He improved his lie (twice) by brushing away sand from behind his lie.
    2. He walked to a separate area in the bunker, took a practice swing and took a big splash of sand.

    #2 is at 46seconds in this video


  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭ ShivasIrons


    Snotty wrote: »
    It looked to me like two separate rules breeches.
    1. He improved his lie (twice) by brushing away sand from behind his lie.
    2. He walked to a separate area in the bunker, took a practice swing and took a big splash of sand.

    #2 is at 46seconds in this video


    It wasn't a bunker, it was a waste area so you can test the sand by 'splashing' the sand. So there's no issue with #2.



    The penalty was for #1, improving his lie.


  • Registered Users Posts: 25,535 ✭✭✭✭ GreeBo


    You can also ground your club, it's basically no different than the rough.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭ benny79


    So was he cheating or was it an accident?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭ brick tamland


    benny79 wrote: »
    So was he cheating or was it an accident?

    Cheating. Improving his lie in the waste bunker very deliberately

    he's got form for it too. Theres a few other videos floating around of him doing the exact same thing a few years ago and one of him doing similar in the rough.


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭ slave1


    What I'm surprised at was the 2 stroke penalty, I thought as he did it twice it should be a 2 X 2 stroke penalty.


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,565 ✭✭✭✭ Rikand


    slave1 wrote: »
    What I'm surprised at was the 2 stroke penalty, I thought as he did it twice it should be a 2 X 2 stroke penalty.

    Did it twice while trying to play the one shot. Can only be penalised for the shot in play


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭ dball


    Was it the par 5 11th hole on Day 3 - the scorecard shows an 8.

    maybe he thought it was worth it, In the bunker in 2 - plays out of the bunker + (2 shots penalty) and a tap in putt for a bogey (Had he played 2 or 3 to there? From where took his shot from?) Did he get up and down from where his bunker shot ended up?

    Will this be his defense if he is ever questioned about it - Will he ever be questioned or will it be hidden in the US media?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭ prawnsambo


    dball wrote: »
    Was it the par 5 11th hole on Day 3 - the scorecard shows an 8.

    maybe he thought it was worth it, In the bunker in 2 - plays out of the bunker + (2 shots penalty) and a tap in putt for a bogey (Had he played 2 or 3 to there? From where took his shot from?) Did he get up and down from where his bunker shot ended up?

    Will this be his defense if he is ever questioned about it - Will he ever be questioned or will it be hidden in the US media?
    So many questions :D

    Yes it was the 11th hole in his third round and he was taking his third shot. It wasn't a bunker, but a 'waste area'; the equivalent of rough on other courses but is sand because of the location of the golf course. Similar areas in Dubai for example.

    Don't know what the outcome of the shot was, but he ended up bogeying the hole before the penalty added two more strokes. Not sure what you mean by 'his defence'. His actual "defence" was that the camera angle made it look like his club was right behind the ball (because it was :rolleyes:) and a different angle would have shown that he wasn't improving his lie (he was).

    As for coverage, you'd have to have your head buried in the sand ;) not to hear about it; three articles about it in Golf Digest, also in Golf Monthly and on the PGA Tour website as well as being tweeted about by the PGA Tour and posted on their YouTube channel. And of course with the President's Cup just starting, you can be pretty sure the Aussie crowd will be making sure nobody forgets about it either.


  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭ davegilly


    The abuse he is getting is very unfair in this instance and i think Reed has been very good about the whole situation considering what actually happened and the abuse he has received.

    The liklehood is that the camera angle is very misleading. If you look at it closely the camera focussing is different between the ball and where the sand moved which would suggest there was a reasonable gap between both areas. When a camera is zoomed in from a distance it can compress the distance making it look like it is really close when the reality is that there is a sizeable gap.

    This is most likely why he asked if there was a different camera angle to show how far back his club actually was and when there wasnt he just accepted his punishment. Fair play to him.

    You have to ask yourself - all players know there are cameras on them every single second of the round - why would they bother try and cheat when they know it is being recorded, it makes no sense. Arsehole that he may be or not.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭ benny79


    Sorry dave but id have to disagree with you there. I think its blatant cheating. If he done it once maybe but to do it 2 times no way.. Its hard for people to realise that some golfers do actually cheat! Same in all sports as the money on offer leads to temptation. He got slated by Brandel Chamblee on the golf channel! It basically said its blatant cheating and something needs to be done about it. He didnt hold back!

    Same with Lexi Thompson its been know she would often replace her ball wrong and got caught but people are afraid to call her on it or speak out.

    For the record I actually like P Reed.


  • Registered Users Posts: 25,535 ✭✭✭✭ GreeBo


    davegilly wrote: »
    The abuse he is getting is very unfair in this instance and i think Reed has been very good about the whole situation considering what actually happened and the abuse he has received.

    The liklehood is that the camera angle is very misleading. If you look at it closely the camera focussing is different between the ball and where the sand moved which would suggest there was a reasonable gap between both areas. When a camera is zoomed in from a distance it can compress the distance making it look like it is really close when the reality is that there is a sizeable gap.

    This is most likely why he asked if there was a different camera angle to show how far back his club actually was and when there wasnt he just accepted his punishment. Fair play to him.

    You have to ask yourself - all players know there are cameras on them every single second of the round - why would they bother try and cheat when they know it is being recorded, it makes no sense. Arsehole that he may be or not.

    If the sand he moved was so far from the ball as to not improve his lie, how on earth did he hit that sand while making a practice swing?


  • Registered Users Posts: 47,085 ✭✭✭✭ tayto lover


    Cameron Smyth came out with a good one today when he said their Presidents Cup squad were looking forward to meeting the USA’s two cats, Tiger and the Cheetah. Having a go at Patrick Reed before the competition even begins.


Advertisement