Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Record Sash Clamps?

Options
  • 07-12-2019 3:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

Okay; I know Irwin now make them. And I imagine they're excellent. It's just I'm an older guy with a nostalgic streak. I want original Record gear ;)

Only, life doesn't appear to be as simple as memories. Like when I decided to get myself a Stanley " Yankee " screwdriver? What a can of worms! There's loads of them. They go by numbers. Pick the wrong number and ye may end up with nothing like ye'd imagined.

And so a scoot through ebay has once again shown me. Just as a single example? One, Big seller of Record's is offering a # 17. 42" long. £60.00. Yet, he's offering a # 18. 48" long. £40.00!

What's going on there? Less clamp for more money? Why?! Is it an issue of quality (I can't imagine that) or,, are some sizes of clamp more popular?

What should I be looking for, please? Where, even? (Outside Drumshanbo Horse Sales? No. Sorry, Boss. Morally repugnant)

I want a matched pair that can clamp a yard or so. Don't need five foot things. Thinking they'd be sweet for when I build my coffin :)

But, what's with all these #'s? I've seen 7, 9, 13, 14, 17, 18, 20 and 135. 13 and 18 both listed as 48" and the same price :confused:

Anyone got a map for this minefield, please? I found a whole site dedicated to Yankee's. Needed it too! (Used my beloved Yankee this evening. DeWalt can never give that connection! :p)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭cletus

Not sure what the numbers mean myself, and I have a few of them. Record could be odd with their numbering, though, as evidenced by their bench vices.

Regards the different prices. Could be to do with the age of the tool (anything non Irwin might be seen as more desirable). Might also be to do with whether the bar of the clamp is flat or T

Ok, a small step in the right direction. The first number, 135 or 136, will refer to the style, the former being a straight bar, the latter being a T bar

Ok. So it would appear that the number after the 135 or 136 is simply used to denote the run of sizes, as evidenced in the picture attached

Record%20Marples%20UK%20Price%20List%201986_0007.jp2&scale=12.001801801801802&rotate=0

The whole catalogue is available here, if you're interested

https://archive.org/details/RecordMarplesUKPriceList1986

Just to be absolutely fair, I got all this info from a forum user over on ukworkshop.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Oh, that catalogue ....! Look at all the spare parts too! The Material! Imagine that, today? Trying to get spare bits? All the way from China.

" bar of the clamp is flat or T " :confused: What's that about, please?

Stigura wrote: »
    Oh, that catalogue ....! Look at all the spare parts too! The Material! Imagine that, today? Trying to get spare bits? All the way from China.

" bar of the clamp is flat or T " :confused: What's that about, please?

It just refers to the cross section of the bar that the jaws run on

T bar

5b56e5c8113cce0012585b02.jpg

Flat bar

092136b1-1e29-4cf4-9158-e854b18ec490.jpg

• Advertisement

Ah. I see. I guess a T bar would be sweeter ~ though it's not obvious to me why.

I'm gonna just watch the bay, or what ever, and see if a matching pair turn up. Yard or so span.

Apart from ~ maybe ~ finding some use for them while making my coffin, I really foresee no earthly use for them. I just think they're really cool. I want them to be found here, when I'm dead. So people will think; " Man! Look at the cool schit the smelly old sod had! " :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

The T bar is a much stronger cramp it doesn't flex under pressure, though I have to admit I bent one pressing a bush, into a van wishbone.

:) Cheers. Yeppers. That makes sense. I was just a little distracted earlier and my mind couldn't process anything more.

Can't really see me having to exert such pressure as to bend one though. I'd really only be using them to A/ Hold stuff in place. And B/ Hold stuff while glue dried.

The T bar is used for wider spans. The cross section means it won't flex (as much, everything is a spring, after all). Probably part of the reason why they didn't offer T bars in the shorter clamps

Aah. Yeah. That makes it even More clear! Cool. Thanks.

As long as I can get some, to look really impressive when they find my rotting remains. Then, they'll think I must have been an interesting person. Doing stuff, down here, on my own.

LMFAO! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement