Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Hunt results

Options
  • 06-12-2019 12:22pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As a lot of processes seem to be metric driven nowadays, here are my stats for a job hunt for a DevOps position.

23 the number of posts I applied for over the course of 2 months. The heuristic I used was based on geographical considerations and if I could reasonably meet 2/3 of the job spec buzzwords. There are about 12 PFOs, some no response at all beyond an auto-acknowledgement with 3 interviews resulting.

Common to all was an initial phone screening and then onto the second stage. One had additional task of doing a software task on coding website.
    Of the 3 interviews, one was successful. Many of questions asked were fairly regular, discuss your successful projects, but there was also a common emphasis on any form of Cloud experience

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

Into ratios:
    • 1:2 responses to applications.
    • 1:8 interviews to applications.
    • 1:24 job offers to applications.

I'd say that was pretty good myself. In past lives I've applied for over 250 jobs, got one interview.

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I was recently looking in Berlin and it was a real slog. Each role basically followed this format:

1. Apply online, if accepted they schedule a HR sanity test phone call
    2. HR gives you a project to do to hand back to them. Supposed to take 4 hours.
    3. If the tech guy liked your project, you got a tech interview. This could be video or on-site.
    4. You would then need to do 1-3 more interviews with various functions. Sometimes on the same day, sometimes spread over different days.

Each application could take 3-4 weeks because of all the separate interviews and availability of the people. I guess in Germany they are used to 3 month notice periods so nobody is in a rush. When you're looking for a job as a new arrival, it's pretty painful.

Not sure I enjoy the programming exercise model. I mean it takes some pressure off any white board interview or getting grilled on textbook facts but 4 hours is basically half a days work. Multiply that by multiple interviews and it's a lot of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

In the mobile field, you're given an app to make over the course of a week. Usually pull data from an endpoint such as daft, Irish rail, imdb etc, and make it look nice. Points given for handling when there's no Internet on the device.

Applying for a number of roles means a lot of unpaid overtime!

Typical format is HR screen - > tech call/skype -> app/homework -> face to face - > offer.

Tbh they'd be as well to skip either the tech call or the app, in favour of a github or actually looking at the CV!!

Advertisement