Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bulbs with the same colour temerature as flash

Options
  • 04-12-2019 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭

Can you get bulbs with the same temperature as a camera flash?

I want use spot lights to increase the the amount of light on a subject in addition to a flash. I need the depth of field.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

camera flash usually has a colour temperature of 5500K-6000K, should be relatively straightforward to get bulbs which match this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

camera flash usually has a colour temperature of 5500K-6000K, should be relatively straightforward to get bulbs which match this.

really, I'll have a look, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Filter gels (on the flash) would be a lot cheaper and easier?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

(s)he appears to want more light than the flash puts out, at the same temp as the flash - rather than changing the temp of the flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭victor8600

(s)he appears to want more light than the flash puts out, at the same temp as the flash - rather than changing the temp of the flash.

Hmmm. If this is the intention, then additional external flashes working in a slave mode would probably be more suitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I would think that slave flashes/strobes would be the way to go.
    Yongnuo has some pretty good flashes that are slave-compatible with various makes and models. (I have 3 Yongnuo flashes that I can slave from my Pentax flash, using Pentax's flash protocols, as an example.)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Yeah, I just assumed the spot lights were already there and adding a flash gel is much quicker and cheaper than changing the bulbs/lamps.

Yeah, I just assumed the spot lights were already there and adding a flash gel is much quicker and cheaper than changing the bulbs/lamps.

can you get gels for the builtin camera flash? thanks for this btw. it might be easier to get a gel pack than try to fine the 6000k bulbs i was after you can get them online no rpoblem but they are not often in retail outlets.

One comment or concern I would have is are all the bulbs you do have the same colour temperature?

One comment or concern I would have is are all the bulbs you do have the same colour temperature?

A very simple solution to that is always buy the same bulbs and have plenty of spares! they are regular bulbs so you can switch out bulbs and use them at home if needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

This is a good point. If they're all the same color, a custom white balance should sort color issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

Are you using the flash for macro work? If so, a lens mounted ring flash would be a lot more effective. I picked up a Nikon SB-R1 setup second hand (barely used) for €200. They cost about €700 new. And its very portable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

You can get CFL bulbs with daylight colour temp that would probably suit what you need. Friend of mine uses them, but mainly for video rather than photography.

Advertisement