Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 bright stationary objects

Options
  • 03-12-2019 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Apologies in advance for my poor descriptive skills but lying in bed currently in Dublin and looking out the window and I can see 2 bright, almost flashing objects in the sky. They’re not beside each other and one looks larger than the other. Both much brighter than the stars that I can see. I can’t get a decent clear photo but one is in the lower right quadrant and the other is just under the window in the upper left. Just fascinated to know what they are. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ps200306

chooey wrote: »
    Apologies in advance for my poor descriptive skills but lying in bed currently in Dublin and looking out the window and I can see 2 bright, almost flashing objects in the sky. They’re not beside each other and one looks larger than the other. Both much brighter than the stars that I can see. I can’t get a decent clear photo but one is in the lower right quadrant and the other is just under the window in the upper left. Just fascinated to know what they are. Thanks

Poor descriptive skills? Nah! We can just guess what direction your window faces, how high up it is, what "almost flashing" means, how we're supposed to see a star that's "under the window", and whether there's a giant constellation on the right if you just moved your head a smidge. :pac:

Hazarding a guess at all those things and that your window faces south east, it's very likely Sirius and Procyon in the constellations of Canis Major and Canis Minor respectively. Sirius is the brightest star in the sky and is flashing madly at this time of year due to low altitude and soggy atmosphere. I watched it set this morning and it was twinklier than ever.

My guess:

9iqaoud.png

The left hand stars look roughly the right positions to be alpha- and 25-Monocerotis, but it's hard to believe your camera would pick them up and they may not be stars at all. That might be Saiph in the top right, which is the left knee of Orion the Hunter. Traditionally, Sirius is the hound at Orion's heel.

If you'd gotten up and peered round the window to the upper right, you probably would have seen Orion:

ZyaxMTc.png

Advertisement