Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mira Elite QT 9.8 or 10.8kW

Options
  • 02-12-2019 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

My current elite st just gave up the ghost. I noted the new elite qt,is a one for one replacement (gravity fed)........ how can I tell if I can support the 10.8kW version? I assUme it’s pure;y based on the RCE?

Amybpdy noticed the difference between the 9.8 and 10.8? I’m pretty sure my old one was an St 9.8........I’m obviously thinking of doing this myself rather than getting the plumber in......appreciate any commments

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The mira Elite Qt is a lemon. It's being replaced in the next month or so & will go down in history as the shortest production life of any mira Elite. There are threads detailing the many issues with this model. I suggest replacing it with the triton t90sr silent shower. This is by far the best Pumped electric shower on the market. Another option is to wait for the new model in the new year and hope its better than the QT

There is a sticker on outside of the shower stating 9.8kw or 10.8kw. 9.8kw is based on the UK 240 volt but is actually 9kw here in Ireland based on our 230V. There are very few 10.8kw showers installed in Ireland and I'd put money on you having a 9.8kw. If you are determined to go 10.8kw then you must have a 10mm cable.

Pay a professional to install the Triton t90sr & stay away from the elite qt is my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    The mira Elite Qt is a lemon. It's being replaced in the next month or so & will go down in history as the shortest production life of any mira Elite. There are threads detailing the many issues with this model. I suggest replacing it with the triton t90sr silent shower. This is by far the best Pumped electric shower on the market. Another option is to wait for the new model in the new year and hope its better than the QT

There is a sticker on outside of the shower stating 9.8kw or 10.8kw. 9.8kw is based on the UK 240 volt but is actually 9kw here in Ireland based on our 230V. There are very few 10.8kw showers installed in Ireland and I'd put money on you having a 9.8kw. If you are determined to go 10.8kw then you must have a 10mm cable.

Pay a professional to install the Triton t90sr & stay away from the elite qt is my advice.

thanks Sleeper12, much appreciated. only worry about changing manufacturuer is the tiles and mounting. i think you're right about the 9.8kW and as its upstairs, it not like I can change the cable thats running to the fuse bo downstairs, so i guess ill just have to stick to the 9.8,ill get my plumber/electrician in to put in a new one. may wait until new year if the QT is a problem.

thanks again for the great advice and more importantly the insight!

ctlsleh wrote: »
    thanks Sleeper12, much appreciated. only worry about changing manufacturuer is the tiles and mounting. i think you're right about the 9.8kW and as its upstairs, it not like I can change the cable thats running to the fuse bo downstairs, so i guess ill just have to stick to the 9.8,ill get my plumber/electrician in to put in a new one. may wait until new year if the QT is a problem.

thanks again for the great advice and more importantly the insight!

Actually, ST pump works fine, it just stopped heating the water, is it easy and cheap to change the element?, i'm reasonably good at DIY and electricals

ctlsleh wrote:
    Actually, ST pump works fine, it just stopped heating the water, is it easy and cheap to change the element?, i'm reasonably good at DIY and electricals

If the water is stone cold then it's more likely to be the TCO needing replacing that the element. Element is over 100 but the TCO is around 25 euros plus p&p

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

I installed an elite qt 10.8 very recently (Naively thinking it would be more powerful that it actually is)....https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058020564

Its working as designed, just a little underwhelming, and in no way quiet. I was sold the dream!

Given the opportunity I would go Triton.

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    If the water is stone cold then it's more likely to be the TCO needing replacing that the element. Element is over 100 but the TCO is around 25 euros plus p&p

Yea, stone cold, but pump working and pressure adjusts as i turn the temp control. ill check the continuity on the thermal switch and see if thats ok, if so ill just replace the whole thing. may try the triton for comparison and hopefully no tiling issue or the wife will kill me...... :)

I installed an elite qt 10.8 very recently (Naively thinking it would be more powerful that it actually is)....https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058020564

Its working as designed, just a little underwhelming, and in no way quiet. I was sold the dream!

Given the opportunity I would go Triton.

Read your post, did you upgrade to a power shower in the end?

Made me think that as i have water mains going up to the attic anyway, cant i just replace my gravity fed with a mains fed and wouldn't it be a much better experience with more LPM or does the mains need to be pumped?

thanks for all the advice

Made me think that as i have water mains going up to the attic anyway, cant i just replace my gravity fed with a mains fed and wouldn't it be a much better experience with more LPM or does the mains need to be pumped?

Not yet, my plumber has the pipes in, and is coming back to do my bathroom which is adjacent the en-suite. I need to do some other stuff in the house before he can do the bathroom....Plan is to move the Mira to the bathroom as a backup.... I will be doing more research this time, starting with Sleeper12's suggestion of the Triton novel SR silent power shower.

I must stress, I am in no way an expert on this. I can only tell you what happened from my experience, and then someone who knows what they are talking about can maybe advise you.

I had the same idea as you....I have a mains line going to the attic via the the en-suite and bathroom. I was planning to have a mains fed shower. I bought a water pressure testers to check my water pressure at the kitchen sink. It was a constant 2.5-3.5 bar on the kitchen tap (which is pretty good for my area). I bought the mains fed shower (Which required 1 Bar). Just before it was installed, I asked the plumber to install an outside tap. I did a quick test of the pressure with the outside tap turned on, assuming the pressure would maybe fall by 1 bar. But the pressure fell off a cliff (0.4bar). Basically I would not have been able to turn on the kitchen tap, or outside tap while someone was having a shower....

That is when I bought the Mira....

Now I am looking at a power shower with a pump. I just want something with a decent bit of water, that doesn't sound like a jet taking off...:)

Not yet, my plumber has the pipes in, and is coming back to do my bathroom which is adjacent the en-suite. I need to do some other stuff in the house before he can do the bathroom....Plan is to move the Mira to the bathroom as a backup.... I will be doing more research this time, starting with Sleeper12's suggestion of the Triton novel SR silent power shower.

I must stress, I am in no way an expert on this. I can only tell you what happened from my experience, and then someone who knows what they are talking about can maybe advise you.

I had the same idea as you....I have a mains line going to the attic via the the en-suite and bathroom. I was planning to have a mains fed shower. I bought a water pressure testers to check my water pressure at the kitchen sink. It was a constant 2.5-3.5 bar on the kitchen tap (which is pretty good for my area). I bought the mains fed shower (Which required 1 Bar). Just before it was installed, I asked the plumber to install an outside tap. I did a quick test of the pressure with the outside tap turned on, assuming the pressure would maybe fall by 1 bar. But the pressure fell off a cliff (0.4bar). Basically I would not have been able to turn on the kitchen tap, or outside tap while someone was having a shower....

That is when I bought the Mira....

Now I am looking at a power shower with a pump. I just want something with a decent bit of water, that doesn't sound like a jet taking off...:)

I hear you......:) exactly the same boat, need to do some more research,going to buy a pressure measuring kit now as well.......:)

I hear you......:) exactly the same boat, need to do some more research,going to buy a pressure measuring kit now as well.......:)

I'll sell you one. I hear you're in the market for a Mira shower too? :D

• Advertisement

I'll sell you one. I hear you're in the market for a Mira shower too? :D

if you have a quiet one i might be interested...... :)

hardly worth selling your pressure kit, but you can PM me the details if yo'ure really keen. dont think theyre that expensive, or am I demonstrating further lack of proper research and inexperience.....:)

if you have a quiet one i might be interested...... :)

hardly worth selling your pressure kit, but you can PM me the details if yo'ure really keen. dont think theyre that expensive, or am I demonstrating further lack of proper research and inexperience.....:)

Just pulling your leg....think it could €15.

Just pulling your leg....think it could €15.

thats what i figured alright.......job for the weekend!

A pumped electric shower can pump out 10 (or more) LPM of cold water. The problem is electric showers, mains or gravity, can't heat water instantly at a fast rate. On both types of showers you will have to slow the flow to 3 to 4.5 LPM to get a hot shower.

Generally in Ireland pumped electric showers are better suited that mains pressure showers. Pumped electric gives constant pressure where mains pressure fluctuates throughout the day. Your mains shower can go scalding or freezing is someone is washing dishes downstairs for example.

The only reason I suggested getting a professional was that changing from Mira to Triton footprint wouldn't be a problem to them. A dedicated shower repair company might bring out a Triton T90SR, Triton T900PI & a Mira Elite QT so if one doesn't fit they have options. In my opinion spending the extra 100/150 on a professional will be forth it if they can make the T90SR fit.

Advertisement