Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manchester Marathon 2020

• 02-12-2019 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

As 2020 rapidly approaches time to throw this open to the PB hunters, Corrie fans and anyone hoping April in Manchester is as miserable as the oul sod.

After 3 years of unnaturally hot race days in Rotterdam I'm sticking closer to home for my next sub 3 attempt.

This time round I'm with the McMillan Run Club. So far, so good. Lots of hard miles and very unpleasant so good preparation.

Any other boardsies up for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

Yep I'm in - Did it last year - Good event, course is good and flat should be better in 2020 with a bit more in the city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Yep, I'm in. Hoping to dip under 2:50. Been going to matches there for nearly 30 years but never gave any thought to running a marathon there before now! The new city centre section shouldn't change the profile too much I'm guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I'm in too - just hoping to get around in one piece ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Ran the last 2 years and I'm in again. Hopefully it is still a great flat route with the new City centre section. Great support on the course and the athletes village in the cricket ground is great (with proper toilets!).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,820 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

In as well.

Hoping to sub 3 or qualify for Boston at least!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

MODS
    My potatoheaded phone created two of these (there's another in the Events section) after I got a 404 error.
    Can someone merge please?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Classic21

Heading over too, first marathon abroad. Trying to sneak under 3:00

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ran it this year in 4:51, in again for 2020. It's a local one for me, I live in Chorlton which is 3 tram stops from the start and there will be tons of my clubmates running. Support was very good on the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Ran it this year in 4:51, in again for 2020. It's a local one for me, I live in Chorlton which is 3 tram stops from the start and there will be tons of my clubmates running. Support was very good on the route.

I trust you'll be running the new section for us and giving us an overview?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

I'm in! The OH is a Manc so there'll plenty of support from the in-laws!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

Yes I'm heading over as well. Manchester will be my first marathon abroad so I'm excited for that.

I'm starting the P&D 50-70 18 week plan today. Hopefully I can with that mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Probably as I didn't get London...again.

Ran it in 2017 which was my first marathon (3:57) and 2018 (3:29). Signed up this year but had to skip it- just never got into my training after Christmas.

All going well.. I would hope for around the 3:20. Sub 3:15 and Boston is probably too soon and too much other stuff going on like small kids and business to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

I have signed up and have not done it before.
    Still not sure if i will be heading over for it and will decide after new year
    Planning to train away over the winter as i have Donadea at the start of Feb.

Can anyone recommend somewhere to stay as i might provisionally book something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Just was discussing this last night. I’m just 2 weeks back into training after a bit of a layoff. I’m told it’s a great race the alternative is Belfast but after the hills and horlax they made of it last year I’m reluctant to do it. Only misgiving I have is a stag do in USA in late March. Bad timing...

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

boydkev wrote: »
    I have signed up and have not done it before.
    Still not sure if i will be heading over for it and will decide after new year
    Planning to train away over the winter as i have Donadea at the start of Feb.

Can anyone recommend somewhere to stay as i might provisionally book something?

Anywhere along the tram lines should be fine. The Altrincham to Bury line and East Didsbury to Rochdale lines, along with the airport line, all go near the start. City centre, Salford Quays, Sale, Didsbury etc would all work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 t00019475

It looks like London marathon are holding a 10km test event shortly. So it looks like London may go ahead, this would be good news for Manchester. I only ran this event once, the course went out by the BBC studios, then we turned back on ourselves and up a slight drag past old Trafford. Is that section of the race still in the race route. Other than that, I remember the course being totally flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Didn’t like the course found it narrow and congested in a few spots. Seemed boring too for a big city course

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Didn’t like the course found it narrow and congested in a few spots. Seemed boring too for a big city course

TbL

I suppose that is because the course is nowhere near the CC and well, it is Manchester.

I've run it twice (2017 & 18) although I seem to remember the 2018 course was ever so slightly different.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

t00019475 wrote: »
    It looks like London marathon are holding a 10km test event shortly. So it looks like London may go ahead, this would be good news for Manchester. I only ran this event once, the course went out by the BBC studios, then we turned back on ourselves and up a slight drag past old Trafford. Is that section of the race still in the race route. Other than that, I remember the course being totally flat.

London Marathon Events were brought in to organise the test events and there have been a couple of false starts so far. No sure if London Marathon were involved from the start but there was meant to be a couple of 10kms at the beginning of April but were called off at the last minute, possibly due to some locals hassling the venue about it so the venue said stuff it, a bit like an early comedy club trial event in Liverpool that was called off after a twitter mob hassled the owners and staff.

Anyway, don't take London Marathon being involved as any indication regarding London Marathon itself happening, they are just there as an organiser with resources they can mobilise quickly and clout/ name recognition to get people to say yes to them... Although I'm confident that London will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

Final day for registration today .....
    Edit sorry tomorrow Wednesday 23rd !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Sod it. I'm in for this again (the 2022 version though)

Advertisement