Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childminders - National Childcare Scheme

Options
  • 02-12-2019 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi,

How does a childminder who minds a child in their own home or the child's own home become qualified for the National Childcare Scheme so that the parents can apply for a subsidy towards wages for the childminder.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

emalou wrote: »
    Hi,

How does a childminder who minds a child in their own home or the child's own home become qualified for the National Childcare Scheme so that the parents can apply for a subsidy towards wages for the childminder.

Thanks.

Anyone minding children in the child’s home is a nanny employed by the family, not a childminder.

Childminders who are working from their own homes can register for the NCS once they’re registered with Tusla. To be able to register with Tusla they must be minding a minimum of 4 children at any one time up to preschoolers age. Once children start in primary they are considered as after-schoolers which has different ratio guidelines.

Hope this helps!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Anyone minding children in the child’s home is a nanny employed by the family, not a childminder.

Childminders who are working from their own homes can register for the NCS once they’re registered with Tusla. To be able to register with Tusla they must be minding a minimum of 4 children at any one time up to preschoolers age. Once children start in primary they are considered as after-schoolers which has different ratio guidelines.

Hope this helps!

They can register with Tusla if they only mind 1 child +.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Moonbeam wrote: »

Do you mind me asking where did you get that information from? As long as I’ve been a childminder it was always a minimum of 4 preschoolers and now since the introduction of regulations for school-aged children, this doesn’t seem to have changed?

This table also has useful info OP and Childminding Ireland have always been very helpful with queries.

https://www.childminding.ie/childminders/becoming-a-childminder/how-many-children-can-i-mind/

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rainemac

It is 4 children or more. 3 or less a childminder cannot register with Tusla.
    I'm a childminder and had the county childcare committee out last week to discuss options on this.

rainemac wrote: »
    It is 4 children or more. 3 or less a childminder cannot register with Tusla.
    I'm a childminder and had the county childcare committee out last week to discuss options on this.

Thanks for confirming this info rainemac. I haven’t been Childminding the last few years and hadn’t heard this ratio change so was curious to know where it came from.

Best of luck with the Childminding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We employ a minder in our home and are not eligible. It's a pain because we do things properly, use payroll systems etc, and we get nada.

Advertisement