Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower Very Hot/Cold only on High Setting

Options
  • 02-12-2019 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭

We've an old Mira Elite 2 and if used on the highest power setting, will only go either roasting hot or freezing cold. We've been using on the power setting 1 step down, but with the cold weather this is now only bringing up to a temperature that's just about hot enough to shower in. We'll be replacing the shower in the medium term as it's likely there awhile, but just wanted to see if there's a likely reason this would be happening before we contact anyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Clean the head and make sure that there's nothing impeding the flow into and out of the shower.

If that all checks out, it is likely to be an issue with limescale in the boiler of the shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Avns1s wrote: »
    Clean the head and make sure that there's nothing impeding the flow into and out of the shower.

If that all checks out, it is likely to be an issue with limescale in the boiler of the shower.

I took the head off the shower entirely and seeing exact same thing. One additional point I've just noticed is that when power is on High and the heat setting is reduced down (the the point it switches from roasting to freezing), the low power light is on.

Updating my own thread, but this is actually exactly what's happening - https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/mira-elite-2-electric-shower-problem.36821/

Will give it a try this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Blocked or spurious shower head can cause this. Damaged or spurious hose can cause this & a blocked filter.

If it's not any of the above then it's the flow control valve. They no longer make a direct replacement for this part for this model. You can buy a modern part with a conversion kit but you are looking at close to 100 euro inc p&p. Your shower is 13 to 20 years old and past its average lifespan. Better to replace the shower if none of the above works. Not worth replacing the flow control valve

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Updating my own thread, but this is actually exactly what's happening - https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/mira-elite-2-electric-shower-problem.36821/

Will give it a try this evening.

This worked a treat - took about 10 mins, and left it running for about 15 mins on a few different teams after to test and all working grand. Will still probably replace in the not too distant future, but saves us doing it right now at least!

• Advertisement
Advertisement