Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full time childminder cost

Options
  • 02-12-2019 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi,

We're looking for a childminder. It would be full time, Mon - Fri, 8am - 6pm. Could anyone give any indication how much this should be per week / month? Creche fees are approx. 1300p/m, should childminder be roughly equivalent or higher? Based in Dublin. Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Dublin based, 3 kids - 490 a week

2 in primary, one in playschool. I do the school drops in the morning. Childminder does the school collections, brings them home, lunch homework etc. Partner collects them at 5.30ish

Price kills us really, but it works out a bit better than one of us not working. Plus she's an excellent childminder.

have considered the au-pair route etc... but sticking with the minder

Doesn't mirror your situation but gives you an idea.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Depends where you are in Dublin too.Anecdotally, in our area, it seems to be somewhere between 40 and 65eur per day (for one child).That's just from looking myself and what I hear.That should be a rough starting point for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 naturalgems18

Thanks for your responses! Really helpful. We were quoted 380 per week which works out at 76 per day - seemed quite high to me so wanted to get a rough idea of what others were paying

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Are you looking for someone to mind your child(ren) in your home? How many child(ren) and what age / age range ?

8am to 6pm x 5 days per week is a 50 hour working week. At minimum wage that works out at €490 (assuming the childminder is 20 or older). You also need to consider employers PRSI, annual and public holidays and any other employer responsibilities.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Thanks for your responses! Really helpful. We were quoted 380 per week which works out at 76 per day - seemed quite high to me so wanted to get a rough idea of what others were paying

Well it can be dependent on the child's age and where in Dublin you are.We are outside the city, so I think costs around us can be less.I suppose you do need to take into account that it is a long enough day too.
    Edited to add that if you find someone you are happy with too, you will pay them for that peace of mind.A good minder is worth their weight in gold.And if the child is small, then that cost isn't forever either.

• Advertisement

€76 for a 10 hour day is €7.60 per hour. I wouldn't even look after my relatives kids for that money, never mind a stranger's.

Are you looking for someone to mind your child(ren) in your home? How many child(ren) and what age / age range ?

8am to 6pm x 5 days per week is a 50 hour working week. At minimum wage that works out at €490 (assuming the childminder is 20 or older). You also need to consider employers PRSI, annual and public holidays and any other employer responsibilities.

No, not looking for minding in our home, their home is fine. I believe the above legal requirements (PRSI etc) are only valid when they mind in your home which would make them technically a nanny. If it's in their home, they're responsible for paying their own tax - correct me if I'm wrong though.

shesty wrote: »
    Well it can be dependent on the child's age and where in Dublin you are.We are outside the city, so I think costs around us can be less.I suppose you do need to take into account that it is a long enough day too.
    Edited to add that if you find someone you are happy with too, you will pay them for that peace of mind.A good minder is worth their weight in gold.And if the child is small, then that cost isn't forever either.

That's a good point!

€76 for a 10 hour day is €7.60 per hour. I wouldn't even look after my relatives kids for that money, never mind a stranger's.

I know! But that's only if they're minding one child. Think they can mind up to 6 or 7 at once so as long as you're looking after more than one, it could be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Shamboo1801

Cash in hand, that works out at over a tenner an hour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭shane b

We were paying our childminder 5 euro an hour cash for 1 child. She was minding 2 other kids plus her own.

Sorry should also have said it's one child - aged 18 months

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Sorry should also have said it's one child - aged 18 months

If you are paying someone as a self employed childminders in their home then it would depend on whether you want an exclusive arrangement with them minding only your child or whether they can mind other children at the same time.

If the latter then it's essentially a creche and I'd expect to pay creche rates. If the former then the childminders self employment taxes, overheads, insurance, etc... need to be taken into account if it is being done properly and I can't see how the cost could be much different.

There are proposals for all commercial childminders operating in their own homes having to register (not just those minding more than three as at present) and requiring gardac vetting.

This would make nod and wink cash in hand childminding arrangements (knowing the rate being paid could not possibly cover tax and reasonable pay) far more difficult to get away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

My old minder charged €6 per hour so for those hours it works out at €1300.
    She minds a number of children in her home. I think she charged me €7 per hour as my son was not in full time.

Millem wrote: »
    My old minder charged €6 per hour so for those hours it works out at €1300.
    She minds a number of children in her home. I think she charged me €7 per hour as my son was not in full time.

Thanks - do you mind me asking if you're in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Thanks - do you mind me asking if you're in Dublin?

Yes South Dublin.
    The minder was not registered. I did not receive the under 3 subsidy and had to provide all food etc. I think a crèche would be cheaper tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

We're looking for a childminder. It would be full time, Mon - Fri, 8am - 6pm. Could anyone give any indication how much this should be per week / month? Creche fees are approx. 1300p/m, should childminder be roughly equivalent or higher? Based in Dublin. Thanks a lot.

It depends on what you call a child minder and what you expect. My daughter is qualified child minder. She has structured activities with her children and can save their lives whit her life saving training. Some parents don't require any of the above and are literally looking for a baby sitter to mind their children. There is a big d in the hourly rate between the two types

Advertisement