Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ebike electric bike motor

Options
  • 01-12-2019 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi all, the motor on my ebike has been making funny noises lately. Today the noises got a lot louder and the motor was loosing power when i had it in the highest assistance mode (there are three modes) It seemed ok in the middle mode. Would this be a sign that the motor is getting faulty?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

You don't say what type of motor etc..
    Bring it back to a reputable bike shop and get it serviced - they should be able to run diagnostics on it

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭nokiatom

homer911 wrote: »
    You don't say what type of motor etc..
    Bring it back to a reputable bike shop and get it serviced - they should be able to run diagnostics on it
    It's a 36v 250w 10a motor. I reckon it's at least 7 years old. The battery is new. I don't know of anyone I could give it to for testing. I'm in East Cork

Depends , cold be the motor or controller causing one or more of the phases to go out of sync, in other words a timing issue caused most likely by a failed hall sensor issue in the motor. But I can't say for sure. But sounds like it when you say it's loosing power.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭nokiatom

Depends , cold be the motor or controller causing one or more of the phases to go out of sync, in other words a timing issue caused most likely by a failed hall sensor issue in the motor. But I can't say for sure. But sounds like it when you say it's loosing power.
    I suppose it would be better to replace the motor due to its age. I know it's at least 7 years old. Its a Kenbay bike. Does anyone in Ireland supply these motors/ wheels?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Joe1919

nokiatom wrote: »
    I suppose it would be better to replace the motor due to its age. I know it's at least 7 years old. Its a Kenbay bike. Does anyone in Ireland supply these motors/ wheels?
    Be sure to check the wiring for loose connections, especially between the controller and the motor. Sometimes wiring can break/wear inside the plastic insulation, especially on front wheel hubs due to movement.

• Advertisement

nokiatom wrote: »

I'm glad to see kenbay are permanently gone, they were selling absolute Junk for extortionate prices. I did highlight it hear a few times.

I would not think the motor is dead, they should last decades, it could be controller issue, wiring, connections etc. It needs investigation before you ruel anything out.

Remember there are hall sensors in the motor and these can fail, they control the timing and talk to the controller, they are easy to replace for those who are technically minded but if not then you need to find someone who can replace them.

Check this out, this is what the halls look like and where they are installed.

MXUS9.png

Advertisement