Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating Help, please

Options
  • 01-12-2019 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

As always, would appreciate your guidance and advice please.

So....

- have a GlowWorm Flexicon 18k; 8 years old
    - 3 zones (hot water, upstairs and downstairs radiators)
    - boiler set to 70C

Problem
    - new problem that started this weekend
    - downstairs rad starts off no problem, heat in and everything as normal
    - but after about 30 minutes, the thermostat stays on (ie the light is on calling for heat), the programme controls are on, but the motorised head valve (horstmann) has turned back to closed and theirs no ‘flame’ icon on the boiler - so not calling for heat.
    - I try to override on the valve and push it over to manual. But it doesn’t do anything. The valve opens, but doesn’t seem to call for heat even though the thermostat light is on and calling for heat.

- rad upstairs working and hot water working.

So I initially thought it was the valve but stumped as to why there’s no call for heat even when I push the valve to override.

Would appreciate everyone’s help. Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭karlitob

karlitob wrote: »
    Hi all,

As always, would appreciate your guidance and advice please.

So....

- have a GlowWorm Flexicon 18k; 8 years old
    - 3 zones (hot water, upstairs and downstairs radiators)
    - boiler set to 70C

Problem
    - new problem that started this weekend
    - downstairs rad starts off no problem, heat in and everything as normal
    - but after about 30 minutes, the thermostat stays on (ie the light is on calling for heat), the programme controls are on, but the motorised head valve (horstmann) has turned back to closed and theirs no ‘flame’ icon on the boiler - so not calling for heat.
    - I try to override on the valve and push it over to manual. But it doesn’t do anything. The valve opens, but doesn’t seem to call for heat even though the thermostat light is on and calling for heat.

- rad upstairs working and hot water working.

So I initially thought it was the valve but stumped as to why there’s no call for heat even when I push the valve to override.

Would appreciate everyone’s help. Many thanks.

Just tried it again.

After about 10/15 minutes, the valve closes, call for heat goes and downstairs rad thermostat in the ball is still calling for heat.

I’ve turned the stat up and down to get the ‘click’ - no effect on the valve.

Since the downstairs rad works fine when it’s cold but not fine when the house is warm, I’m wondering if there’s a problem with the downstairs thermostat.

Am I on the right track? How do I confirm/check that it’s broken?

Thanks all.

Just tried it again.

After about 10/15 minutes, the valve closes, call for heat goes and downstairs rad thermostat in the ball is still calling for heat.

I’ve turned the stat up and down to get the ‘click’ - no effect on the valve.

Since the downstairs rad works fine when it’s cold but not fine when the house is warm, I’m wondering if there’s a problem with the downstairs thermostat.

Am I on the right track? How do I confirm/check that it’s broken?

Thanks all.

Next I’ve pushed the valve into the override position. It’s stayed there for the moment. But no fire symbol on the boiler, but the it is ‘on’ and the pressure it up 1.4bar.

But the valve eventually goes back to the off position

Next I’ve pushed the valve into the override position. It’s stayed there for the moment. But no fire symbol on the boiler, but the it is ‘on’ and the pressure it up 1.4bar.

But the valve eventually goes back to the off position

Lastly, upstairs rads turn on. All normal, no problem. And the fire symbol on the boiler is on.

So then I put on the downstairs rads, but this time there’s no turn of the valve - which again makes me think it’s thermostat / temperature related.

I push the downstairs valve into override and again nothing.

Thanks all. Apologies for long texts.

Lastly, upstairs rads turn on. All normal, no problem. And the fire symbol on the boiler is on.

So then I put on the downstairs rads, but this time there’s no turn of the valve - which again makes me think it’s thermostat / temperature related.

I push the downstairs valve into override and again nothing.

Thanks all. Apologies for long texts.

Hot water this morning - not as hot as it normally is. Hot water tap pushed over a good bit more than normal. Also thinking that the upstairs rad not as consistent as I thought.

Can there be a problem with the boiler thermostat? Can it turn off once it reaches a certain threshold? It’s currently set to 75C but I think it’s turning off at 55C.

Thanks all

Advertisement