Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion Not Heating

Options
  • 01-12-2019 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Immersion not heating. Light goes on timer. Does not heat though. I have pressed in the reset button on the boiler itself. Still no Joy.

I also have the booster. Never really use. Am I correct in saying the booster only heats the top element? Does the timer heat both elements or just the bottom?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,342 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Is 'Economy 7' mentioned on the front of the timer? If it is, the booster button will only heat the top (Sink) element. The timer will typically heat the bottom (bath) element. Try the boost button, if it works then the long (bath) element is fecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

coylemj wrote: »
    Is 'Economy 7' mentioned on the front of the timer? If it is, the booster button will only heat the top (Sink) element. The timer will typically heat the bottom (bath) element. Try the boost button, if it works then the long (bath) element is fecked.

It's an ECOsave. No Economy 7. Either way looks like you are correct. Top one sink is working.
    So I assume it's a job for a Plumber? Easy enough to replace element yourself?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭dodzy

It's an ECOsave. No Economy 7. Either way looks like you are correct. Top one sink is working.
    Thanks

Relatively easy if you are comfortable around electricity and water. Many are not.

1. Isolate the electrical supply and verify with tester that system is down.
    2. Remove wiring from the timer noting layout of cables. There will be 4.
    3. Turn off hot water supply to cylinder.
    4. Get an immersion spanner and tap the nut to loosen the element ever so slightly. You are just looking to break the seal at this point. Do not drain any water from the tank yet as it being full increases the tanks strength. This is the only real risk point of the job as the tank can rupture if it’s ancient / weakened and then you’re screwed but this is a risk for a professional too and they will point this out before starting the job.
    5. Once loosened,again, only slightly, You will need to locate the immersion tank drain key and drain off approx a basin of water via a hose. This takes the level of water below the top curved section of the tank and the heater element.
    6. Remove element and lightly file / sand the mating face of the cylinder to get rid of ‘crud’ buildup.
    7. Replace new element and hard washer (I typically use a good amount of ptfe tape on the thread) and ensure you dont cross-thread or you’re in trouble! Don’t over-tighten.
    8. Turn back on water supply and check for leaks. Tap immersion spanner slightly if seeping is present.
    9. Wire up at timer & turn on. If you put your ear to the tank you will here the element, sink or bath, buzzing indicating all is well.
    10. Have a beer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Thanks

Do you have two separate immersion heaters on the side of your cylinder, one approx 6" off the floor, the other higher up. Or just one at the top?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭dodzy

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Do you have two separate immersion heaters on the side of your cylinder, one approx 6" off the floor, the other higher up. Or just one at the top?

Good point KF. Reading the OP again would suggest double side entry elements are likely. OP, that being the case, the tank would obviously have to be emptied below the level of the faulty element

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Just to close this off.
    I got someone to do it for €160. Straight in no messing. Took less than an hour.

Bottom element and thermostat replaced.

Advertisement