Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unfinished PhD (Arts) - future options?

• 30-11-2019 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,

I am just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me. I pursued a PhD in a Humanities subject three times, having to change universities each time because of a variety of reasons beyond my control (supervisor relocated, and then health crises). I've now been on a break from all academic study to get my mental health back on track, and I don't plan on returning - to a different university again - for this academic year anyway.

I specialized in a particular subject/field in the humanities, because it's all I've known since I was young. Now that I'm not studying, I feel a huge professional void, because I've spent the better part of six years trying my hand at some PhD work or the other. I've struggled because I have a mental health diagnosis, and because I had to change universities as a result. I'm looking at what else I can do, but my options are limited. Finding work is proving to be impossible for two reasons 1) I've been self employed before entering academia, and 2) for health reasons, I'm limited in the kinds of jobs I can apply for.

I'm considering re-skilling/upskilling and have applied for a Springboard course in TCD; I'm also looking into the Open University, but they are very expensive, and I would be better off waiting and trying to complete my PhD, though that remains a very distant possibility at the moment. I'm also trying to apply for civil service jobs, etc, but my confidence is terrible after spending so many years as a researcher, working with only a supervisor on a very esoteric arts topic. I genuinely enjoyed 2-3 years of my PhD (part-time), but sadly my health was not up to it.

Does anyone know of any courses/schemes with a January start date that are a cut above, given my skills and background and based in Dublin? I'm not interested in computers/tech - mainly because I don't have the required knowledge or background. Something with a focus on creativity, writing, media, education, broadcasting might be suitable, as might something in culture, enterprise or anything in a similar vein. I live in the West of Ireland and would gladly commute to Dublin; I just feel lost without the PhD studies, and at the same time know that this is the best thing for me personally for the near future anyway. Ireland is quite small, as such opportunities are limited, and I've exhausted nearly all of the ones in my own field professionally. I'm looking for a new mountain to climb, but need a gentle introduction to something different that will still be fulfilling. January start date means I don't have to wait until the next academic year ( a long way off) and I can continue my recovery while also giving myself something to keep occupied.

ANY advice/suggestions would be gratefully received. I post this because perhaps there are options that I haven't thought of. It's a very lonely place to be with a mental illness, outside of academia, and lost professionally and personally. All help welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Piki1982 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any courses/schemes with a January

The majority of Springboard courses start in September. There are some exceptions, so have a look at the Springboard site.

Piki1982 wrote: »
    Something with a focus on creativity, writing, media, education, broadcasting might be suitable, as might something in culture, enterprise or anything in a similar vein

Have you given any thought to the job opportunities in these areas? My initial reaction is while you may have an interest in them (and I would always encourage people to study what interests them), you also have to be realistic and make yourself aware of the job opportunities that are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Piki1982

Just FYI to anyone who is wondering ...

thanks to the Covid pandemic, I didn't have too many options to find a new job, or pursue an alternate avenue, so I went back and picked up my PhD, and finished the darned thing, graduating in 2021.

Now, after a few expected rejections in the postdoc/lecturing sphere (thanks Ivy League graduates!), I'm finally applying for non-academic jobs (library/admin/civil service) and I'm also working on research/writing as a freelancer. I'm relieved to have finished the PhD, even if, in the end, I finished out of spite! :)

Advertisement