Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moisture marks on dining table - hot to remove

Options
  • 30-11-2019 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

We have a few round moisture marks on a rosewood dining table and wondering

-if there is a way to remove without sanding it down completely ? Marks are not all over .
    - How to give it a heat resistant finish as I dont want to have glass top over it ..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

galaxy12 wrote: »
    We have a few round moisture marks on a rosewood dining table and wondering

-if there is a way to remove without sanding it down completely ? Marks are not all over .
    - How to give it a heat resistant finish as I dont want to have glass top over it ..

Absolutely do not sand it ! You will go through whatever finish the table has. I would try 'Rustins ring remover ' available in any hardware shop. It works a treat and leaves a nice finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭galaxy12

recipio wrote: »
    Absolutely do not sand it ! You will go through whatever finish the table has. I would try 'Rustins ring remover ' available in any hardware shop. It works a treat and leaves a nice finish.

Thanks . Any way to heat /Moisture proof it as well ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

galaxy12 wrote: »
    Thanks . Any way to heat /Moisture proof it as well ?

I assume you have a 1950's + style Rosewood table - the Danes were big into using Rosewood for what is now 'mid century' furniture.If so it will probably have been coated with some kind of lacquer. Regular waxing with a coloured wax will enhance its water resistance although no wood will stand long periods of immersion from pot plants etc.
    Tables that have had a hard life can be stripped back to the original wood and re- sprayed with a pre-cat lacquer but that is a job for a professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

I've seen this technique used very successfully, and have used it myself too, with some success:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3vZrf5RxLI

• Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

A professional furniture restorer gave me advice which I have used successfully on the one and only piece of furniture I have that suffers with this problem - a late 1990s mahogany coffee table: very gently, wave a heat gun across the affected area. His explanation was that the hot cup softens the lacquer and allows moisture (condensation on the underside of the cup/mug) to penetrate into the lower layers of the lacquer, which hardens again as the cup cools. Applying gentle blown heat allows this moisture to escape and be carried away. The surface loses some of its sheen, but this can be restored by polishing afterwards. I'm happy enough to use this technique on my own furniture, not sure I'd risk it on someone else's prized antique though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭galaxy12

Thanks a lot , Will start wit the ring remover and polish first and then to the more aggressive methods if still needed .. I also came across this link here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBJBnf4F9sA but not sure on the exact product name ..

Advertisement