Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water pump help

Options
  • 29-11-2019 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

I'm in an apartment and I've a combined water cylinder. Hot and cold water are pumped from the tank to provide pressure. Water went out yesterday and my water pump knocked itself off after I drained the tank. I've low pressure in hot and cold taps and enough to refill the toilets but I can't get the pump to re-engage - no showers. I know the pump turns itself off if there’s not enough water coming through. I've it off at the fuse at the min, but if I knock the fuse on I can hear it trying to re-engage, so still working. I've tried to use the mix tap in the kitchen to blow it out, but no luck so far.

Anyone have any tips or tricks I can try before I call a plumber!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Theres magnetic switches in these which activate when flow is bad. Stops the pump burning itself out.

google your model and resetting the magnetic switch for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭themighty

listermint wrote: »
    Theres magnetic switches in these which activate when flow is bad. Stops the pump burning itself out.

google your model and resetting the magnetic switch for it.

Thanks listermint I'll give it a go.

Do I need to be worried that not enough water is getting through to engage it? Or will it pull enough through once its back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭listermint

themighty wrote: »
    Thanks listermint I'll give it a go.

Do I need to be worried that not enough water is getting through to engage it? Or will it pull enough through once its back up.

Deal with the switch first. probably airlocks in behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

themighty wrote: »
    I'm in an apartment and I've a combined water cylinder. Hot and cold water are pumped from the tank to provide pressure. Water went out yesterday and my water pump knocked itself off after I drained the tank. I've low pressure in hot and cold taps and enough to refill the toilets but I can't get the pump to re-engage - no showers. I know the pump turns itself off if there’s not enough water coming through. I've it off at the fuse at the min, but if I knock the fuse on I can hear it trying to re-engage, so still working. I've tried to use the mix tap in the kitchen to blow it out, but no luck so far.

Anyone have any tips or tricks I can try before I call a plumber!

If you are hearing a low humming sound, but the pump is not spinning, then most likely it is the capacitor that needs replacing.
    Sometimes the strainers on the inlet tubes drop down and jam the motor giving the same symptoms.
    But from your description, change the capacitor first.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭themighty

Thanks for the advice lads. I managed to get it up and running again. I did the reset and followed some of the advice on my model of pump that was on another thread here on boards. There's still life in it yet by the looks of it😊

• Advertisement
Advertisement