Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Football gambling books.

• 29-11-2019 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭

I've been gambling for many years. First horses, when I was young and stupid.

Then I played online poker for a couple of years but found it very time consuming.

For the past couple of years I've been mostly betting on football, more specifically the EPL.

I find it's easier to get information on the Premier league and I can keep records of information I need, easier.

I was looking online, the book depository, for books that could help. Books that have been written recently because they may be more relevant.

I saw one wrtten in 2016 called "Football Betting", by unnamed.

It was very basic. Forty one pages, even suggested saying a prayer might help bets to win.

So I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any good books on English football betting or English Premier League betting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

What kind of insights would you like from them? I could at least try to point you in the right direction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

callaway92 wrote: »
    What kind of insights would you like from them? I could at least try to point you in the right direction

I'd be interested to know what are most profitable bets.

Every week I write down the Premier league results. I write a note i.e. Scorers, motm, team, absentees, some other stats and a couple of lines on how each teams played. At the moment I have them in a folder.

I watch as much football as possible on Sky Sports and record and watch MOTD.

So most of my bets used to be on win markets, ht/ft, result and btts.

Lately I do less on win markets unless I think there's value. I do more ón goals now.

From Wednesday I start gathering my info from folder, online including YouTube for the week end games. Checking stats, injuries and suspensions.

I feel I could be more productive if I knew which type of bet has best chance of profits and how to go about gathering and deciphering the info. Maybe there's no best way and just finding what's best for me.

Or just guidance on how to pull everything together.

I have accounts with 6 bookmakers and have recently opened an account with betfair to see if betting on the exchange will help my cause.

I have more time on my hands as I took early retirement in recent years. I think I'm fairly sensible with my betting. I'm just looking to being a bit more professional.

I'm going to start using a computer for gathering and deciphering the info from new year.

Any advice would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,046 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Any advice would be appreciated.

How tech savy are you?

I don't want to sound patronizing, but I'm guessing as you are retired, that there is a generation gap between us, and probably as I grew up in a tech-friendly world, it all comes easier to me.

You could start documenting all your logs in Microsoft Excel file. Create a mini database. Then, there are some great data analysis apps out there, that are free, such as Qlikview that you can 'sit' on top of this database to quickly aggregate all the data for you. You can see trends really easy with this. Now it's not predictive, it's more reactionary so you only get so much but it would be useful for trends such as overs in goals etc.

I'd be happy to help you with setting it up if that interests you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

FitzShane wrote: »
    How tech savy are you?

I don't want to sound patronizing, but I'm guessing as you are retired, that there is a generation gap between us, and probably as I grew up in a tech-friendly world, it all comes easier to me.

You could start documenting all your logs in Microsoft Excel file. Create a mini database. Then, there are some great data analysis apps out there, that are free, such as Qlikview that you can 'sit' on top of this database to quickly aggregate all the data for you. You can see trends really easy with this. Now it's not predictive, it's more reactionary so you only get so much but it would be useful for trends such as overs in goals etc.

I'd be happy to help you with setting it up if that interests you.

Ye I wouldn't be very tech savy. I have in the past used data base for horse racing but that was about 25 years ago.

I did use a computer at work up to four years ago but I would need info on what would be a good data base.

Putting info in or downloading it is usually the easy part but knowing how to get the best out of it, not so easyFor me, as I wouldn't know anything about modern data bases.

As for books on specifically on betting English football or EPL, there is not much out there that has been written recently.

Thanks for the offer. I will take any help given.

Advertisement