Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Do they have the christmas carousel etc in the square yet?

  • 28-11-2019 10:22pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭ JackieChang


    Not really a discussion... just a quick question.

    Heading to Waterford with the missus next weekend, just wondering if that horse merrigoround carousel thing is there and the Xmas lights and everything. Haven't been to Waterford during the festive season in 10 years so not sure if that's still a thing... Hopefully it is though?


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 29 bluess99


    Not really a discussion... just a quick question.

    Heading to Waterford with the missus next weekend, just wondering if that horse merrigoround carousel thing is there and the Xmas lights and everything. Haven't been to Waterford during the festive season in 10 years so not sure if that's still a thing... Hopefully it is though?

    Yeah, all set up. Full details can be found here http://www.winterval.ie/


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ hardybuck


    From outside Waterford, it doesn't feel as if the same momentum is behind the festival this year. What's it like on the ground?


  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭ DLS_75


    hardybuck wrote: »
    From outside Waterford, it doesn't feel as if the same momentum is behind the festival this year. What's it like on the ground?

    People from Waterford say the same thing every year. In reality, the town is buzzing.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ hardybuck


    DLS_75 wrote: »
    People from Waterford say the same thing every year. In reality, the town is buzzing.

    In the initial years there was definitely a sense of interest about this great new family friendly festival down in Waterford. I knew a lot of people who took the opportunity to drive down there to experience it.

    Good to hear it's still doing well - it's a great boost to the area.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭ JackieChang


    bluess99 wrote: »
    Yeah, all set up. Full details can be found here http://www.winterval.ie/

    Kind of hard to understand the website. Seems like I missed everything. Christmas markets are only on the 23rd Nov? Must be a mistake?

    Only the 23rd is highlighted in the calendar here:http://winterval.ie/event/christmas-markets


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭ fricatus


    hardybuck wrote: »
    From outside Waterford, it doesn't feel as if the same momentum is behind the festival this year. What's it like on the ground?
    DLS_75 wrote: »
    People from Waterford say the same thing every year. In reality, the town is buzzing.

    Yeah, it’s certainly in full swing. It’s a bit more established now, feels like a permanent part of Christmas, so fewer headlines. Plenty of people about though.


  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭ looksee


    They don't have the big carousel this year, do they? There is a small one, and a helter-skelter round by the Bishops Palace, a big wheel on the quays and one of those chair-o-plane things by the Tower Hotel - which you would not get me on for any money! The usual selection of huts.

    I was in Waterford by chance on the day the lights were turned on and there was a solid, jampacked crowd. What did seem a bit unhelpful was the barrier/track they had made for santa to walk up all the way up Baronstrand street. The street was blocked for a long time - surely they could have made a few passageways across the track by turning a couple of barrier sections, and just replaced them when santa was actually due?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ gscully


    looksee wrote: »
    They don't have the big carousel this year, do they? There is a small one, and a helter-skelter round by the Bishops Palace, a big wheel on the quays and one of those chair-o-plane things by the Tower Hotel - which you would not get me on for any money! The usual selection of huts.

    Yes, the large carousel is in its usual place. There's a smaller one just outside Supermacs.


  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭ azimuth17


    hardybuck wrote: »
    From outside Waterford, it doesn't feel as if the same momentum is behind the festival this year. What's it like on the ground?
    Almost every post I see from you starts with the same running down of something in Waterford. Why are you doing this? Are you a deliberate troll or what? Place was heaving over the week end and you arise like Banquo's ghost. Ready as always with the same type of rubbish.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ hardybuck


    azimuth17 wrote: »
    Almost every post I see from you starts with the same running down of something in Waterford. Why are you doing this? Are you a deliberate troll or what? Place was heaving over the week end and you arise like Banquo's ghost. Ready as always with the same type of rubbish.

    Hi there, thanks for taking an interest in my posts and your feedback. Did you read everything I posted on this thread? If you've deemed me a troll, are you my stalker?

    'Good to hear it's still doing well - it's a great boost to the area'.


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭ looksee


    gscully wrote: »
    Yes, the large carousel is in its usual place. There's a smaller one just outside Supermacs.

    Did it arrive since the day the lights were put on? Last Saturday week I think. I must have been in the clouds as I didn't see it! :eek:


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ gscully


    looksee wrote: »
    Did it arrive since the day the lights were put on? Last Saturday week I think. I must have been in the clouds as I didn't see it! :eek:

    Not sure, but I was on it last Friday night.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭ BlackandGreen


    What time do the food stalls and stuff start opening?
    Is it too early in December?


    Last year I went down to do my xmas shopping around 1pm and was disappointed to see most of the winterval stuff shuttered up and no nice food etc being sold.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ gscully


    Winterval dates attached.

    All events and market cabins should be open on these dates. Waterford Eye and Waterford On Ice will run until early January.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11 ✭✭✭ Kamiooka


    I was down around the City last weekend with the kids and we all really enjoyed the WINTERVAL buzz.

    People have become complacent about it, but for kids it really is magical & hard to imagine Waterford without Winterval.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭ friendlyfun


    It's well layed out I must say. The huge ferris wheel seems very popular.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭ robtri


    went around town today... first time had a chance to this year
    the extra amsuements are very welcome and town was busy
    was great to see

    the number of market stalls seems way down this year, or have they moved them to someplace else?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ Azatadine


    We were just talking about that here too. If I travelled far, I'm not sure I'd be too happy with the stalls. Not many at all.


  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭ azimuth17


    robtri wrote: »
    went around town today... first time had a chance to this year
    the extra amsuements are very welcome and town was busy
    was great to see

    the number of market stalls seems way down this year, or have they moved them to someplace else?
    Had family from Dublin plus kids yesterday. Did it all, including big wheel, coca coal truck. Ice skating and that star flier at the Tower Hotel. Everyone happy and went back to Dublin in good spirits. Maybe its atmosphere for kids that counts and not market stalls selling stuff although a good few of those in Cathedral Square and Arundel Sq? Facebook comment also interesting
    https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/parenting/2019/1211/1098404-digital-dad-visits-waterfords-winterval-festival/?fbclid=IwAR0V3v2ZDFOztYU0H7hGLniYKnNoyve-CdRU2QTIq_R8pwB9hYkDDl9mBx4


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭ greenspurs


    The budget was reduced this year for Winterval, so they had to stretch it further to get the same level of stalls/entertainment.

    It shows tbh . :/

    Hate speech is just speech that you dont like



  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭ azimuth17


    Kamiooka wrote: »
    I was down around the City last weekend with the kids and we all really enjoyed the WINTERVAL buzz.

    People have become complacent about it, but for kids it really is magical & hard to imagine Waterford without Winterval.

    All the high profile and expensive things and more that one would expect were there. I am more inclined to agree with this analysis.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ iseegirls


    Got to feel sorry for most of the traders there this week so far with the dreadful weather. Hope it's a better weekend for them. Had a walk around earlier and just so eerie.


Advertisement