Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Answer the Poll: What console relied most on the pedigree of its manufacturer?

Options
  • 28-11-2019 6:53pm

Answer the Poll. Explain your reason in a post. Better than ah quality.

Which console most relied on the pedigree of its manufacturer ? 12 votes

Atari Jaguar console
    0%
    Commodore 64 games console
    58%
    super_furrySkerriesr3nu4lsugarmanbrianregan09[Deleted User][Deleted User] 7 votes
    Amstrad Games console
    33%
    eddhorseDr Bob[Deleted User]Orebro 4 votes
    Other
    8%
    van_beano 1 vote

Comments

I'm saying Atari Jaguar I owned an Atari ste.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

The Mega CD, 32X, Saturn, N64, and PS3 spring to mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

I'll go with dreamcast, you bought one because of the Sega games and hoped it would take off.

But great support from Sega, from the triple A stuff to mad things like seaman and that game where you play the role of Sega enterprises. Mad. And great!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,909 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Apologies, but I don't really understand the question.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Not a great poll
    None of them had a gaming pedigree at the time of release, including the Atari

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Maybe another way to phrase the question... Which companies console had the most promise from 1st party support?

I was going to say anything Nintendo (no vb), but you were always going to get decent 3rd party support.

But yeah, I'd say the dreamcast, because you could rely on only Sega to produce the goods. 3rd party support was a bonus at that point in Segas life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,303 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

finally! a poll with Atari Jaguar as an option again

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Not a great poll
    None of them had a gaming pedigree at the time of release, including the Atari

Some of them on that list are also not consoles. Forgot about the short-lived C64GS.

Why limit the choice to those three offerings specifically?

Lemming wrote: »
    Some of them on that list are also not consoles.

Hope I didn't hurt Sam and Jack Tramiell's feelings too much or Alan Sugar.

Inviere wrote: »
    The Mega CD, 32X, Saturn, N64, and PS3 spring to mind...

I posted before the poll went up obviously :o

• Advertisement

Silly me: forgot about Nokia gamer smartphone in 2002.

Strictly not a console but sure milked the bejaysus out of the Nokia brand before it was dropped

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

By the time the Jag came out the brand was done, given its last successful games machine was the ST years beforehand.
    By the time the C64 came out it made the Commodore games brand, with the Vic20 hardly established as a major device before, especially in Europe.
    The Amstrad was a wannabe in the 8 bit computer days, with a nice device but way to expensive, and not long after those with those funds were buying STs and Amigas.

Real cash-ins were Sega the likes of the 32x and MegaCD, half baked efforts, and the Saturn died a death being just too complicated to generate good results easily and they were so far behind Sony in how to treat customers, developers and retailers.
    By the time they made the genuinely good Dreamcast the world only wanted a Playstation.
    Nintendo got very lucky with the Wii, huge seller but little more than a repackaging of the GameCube, all trends should have buried the machine along with Nintendo's reputation but they somehow made pots of cash and many of that generations best games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Amstrad Games console
    I voted C64 but it wasnt a "games console"

eddhorse wrote: »
    I voted C64 but it wasnt a "games console"

Agree, it was a computer, otherwise how could kids of the era explain that they wanted one to "help with their school work" .

I suppose there was the C64GS, but I presumed he didn't mean that though, or the Amstrad GX4000 come to that :)

C64, Spectrum, ST and Amiga were computers but were popular as games machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I suppose there was the C64GS, but I presumed he didn't mean that though, or the Amstrad GX4000 come to that :)

That's actually what I thought the poll was referring to, companies that released a failed console (IE the GX4000 and C64GS) which relied on the pedigree of what came before.

If it's not then consider me well confused!

o1s1n wrote: »
    That's actually what I thought the poll was referring to, companies that released a failed console (IE the GX4000 and C64GS) which relied on the pedigree of what came before.

That's how I understood it anyway :o

o1s1n wrote: »

Well I did admit to not understanding the question so it was probably me getting the wrong end of the stick!

I was also going to put the Spectrum Vega plus in, only that Sinclair removed the rights from the "organisation" who "sold" the "console" to put Sinclair on the thing even though they did.

I was also going to put the Spectrum Vega plus in, only that Sinclair removed the rights from the "organisation" who "sold" the "console" to put Sinclair on the thing even though they did.

They put text adventures a plenty on the vega and +. So handy for devices with no keyboard. Money grabbing morons.

• Advertisement
Advertisement