Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chimney-stone sticking out at flue junction-point

Options
  • 27-11-2019 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

I hope knowledgeable tradespeople here can advise. I am renovating an old single-story stone farmhouse which has the traditional vast rectangular hearth. The building contractor replaced the asbestos roof with a slate one and repaired/reinstated the unstable chimney, The chimney breast tapers inwards up towards the point where the contractor installed the part with fireproof packing within the chimney part of the system.

I am about to buy a Hunter Hawk 3 room-heater + flue to bring it up to what has been fitted. However if I stand inside the fireplace (it would fit about 3 people comfortably!!!) and look up, I can see one stone from the tapering chimney-breast sticks out a couple of inches.

Is this a big problem? Are there flexible connectors at that part of the system? I cannot knock down the chimney-breast as it is practically the entire centre supporting wall of the cottage. How will the installer manage this one? Advice needed!!!

Advertisement