Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera for my son

Options
  • 26-11-2019 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭

Hi, my son is studying film in college and asked for a dslr for Christmas, problem is my budget is more or less €400. I was looking at the Nikon d3500 but hearing the auto focus for video is poor. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

You might look for some used Canon gear, or consider mirrorless, which could open you up to include Canon, Panasonic, Sony... There might be more choices in range there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Heebie wrote: »
    You might look for some used Canon gear, or consider mirrorless, which could open you up to include Canon, Panasonic, Sony... There might be more choices in range there.

Was looking this one then instead thoughts? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00XVREL8Q/?coliid=I4ZA7P7MFFR3S&colid=2MR284V3XFFMF&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Hello again! ;)

As a very general rule, Canon DSLR's are considered better for video than Nikon, and whether or not that's true at a pixel level, it means that is likely that well over half of your son's classmates will also have (or get) a Canon. From a practical point of view, that means that they'll be able to swap batteries, lenses and colour profiles if/when they're working on a project together.

"Studying film" is a bit vague, so it's hard to give really good advice. However if the course involves making films, one of the first rules your son will (probably) learn is to turn off autofocus!!! Using it is considered a bad habit by most serious (amateur or professional) videographers, and it has a tendency to mess up a well-framed shot when something in the foreground (leaves, people, birds, cars, hands ...) passes in front of the subject.

Much more important are image stabilisation (a lens attribute) and low-light performance (a camera and lens attribute). If you trawl through this forum long enough, you'll see numerous recommendations to save money on the camera body and spend it instead on decent lenses. Your son will undoubtedly learn the same thing on the course. Don't be afraid to buy secondhand - I'm looking at a couple of camera bodies being sold at 50€ "for spares" that I can probably fix myself ; the next lens on my wishlist is 450€ (secondhand).

In your situation, I'd be looking for a decent used Canon 60D (my daughter has one) or 70D (I have one), a 50mm f/1.8 lens (make sure it's the STM version) and a whatever zoom you can get with the rest of your budget (18-135mm is great, but the 18-55mm kit lens would be OK to start with; he can borrow a longer lens if necessary ... or put it on next year's Santa list :) )

A note on audio: there is no video-capable camera that has great audio - don't bother trying to compare models on this basis. The only thing that really matters is that the camera should have an audio-input socket so that he can at least start to dabble with different types of microphone (that's a whole 'nother side of things ... and expense!)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just with regard to the above the Canon 60D is a poor choice if video is a priority. The focusing system is archaic and slow. And the options for video resolution are poor by modern standards, 1080p 30fps max on this one. I think the 70D suffers most of the same issues, I'm not 100% sure on focus, but it shoots 1080p 30 max.

A Canon M50 would be a good choice, they go for around your budget and do a lot for that money. Check youtube for reviews, they are all very favourable for it's video performance. Shoots 4k 25, as well as 1080p 60 which is impressive. And has one of the best autofocusing systems out there. For the money it's a great choice. The only slight caveat is that you would need to buy an adapter to use more standard canon lenses, but the adapters can be had for ~30eur. And he may not need it at all.

And lastly, I think you should really ask your son what he wants specifically. There might be others with cameras in the course already that get on good and bad. Or there might be specific requirements for the course.

And the Panasonic G7 is a well regarded video camera too. There's probably not too much between the two really, personal preference will come into it.

Hello again! ;)

As a very general rule, Canon DSLR's are considered better for video than Nikon, and whether or not that's true at a pixel level, it means that is likely that well over half of your son's classmates will also have (or get) a Canon. From a practical point of view, that means that they'll be able to swap batteries, lenses and colour profiles if/when they're working on a project together.

"Studying film" is a bit vague, so it's hard to give really good advice. However if the course involves making films, one of the first rules your son will (probably) learn is to turn off autofocus!!! Using it is considered a bad habit by most serious (amateur or professional) videographers, and it has a tendency to mess up a well-framed shot when something in the foreground (leaves, people, birds, cars, hands ...) passes in front of the subject.

Much more important are image stabilisation (a lens attribute) and low-light performance (a camera and lens attribute). If you trawl through this forum long enough, you'll see numerous recommendations to save money on the camera body and spend it instead on decent lenses. Your son will undoubtedly learn the same thing on the course. Don't be afraid to buy secondhand - I'm looking at a couple of camera bodies being sold at 50€ "for spares" that I can probably fix myself ; the next lens on my wishlist is 450€ (secondhand).

In your situation, I'd be looking for a decent used Canon 60D (my daughter has one) or 70D (I have one), a 50mm f/1.8 lens (make sure it's the STM version) and a whatever zoom you can get with the rest of your budget (18-135mm is great, but the 18-55mm kit lens would be OK to start with; he can borrow a longer lens if necessary ... or put it on next year's Santa list :) )

A note on audio: there is no video-capable camera that has great audio - don't bother trying to compare models on this basis. The only thing that really matters is that the camera should have an audio-input socket so that he can at least start to dabble with different types of microphone (that's a whole 'nother side of things ... and expense!)

Haha sorry he sprung this on me last night and I have zero clue about cameras, yes part of his course is that he will be making short movies.

I really don't like the idea of 2nd hand as I would like to have some warranty with it should there be any issues down the line. I am just going based on google and what they are saying and seems the Nikkon d3500 came recommended for my budget and also the Canon G50. I suppose I just want to get him on the road a foundation as such and as you said he can add to the camera at a later date as and when he gets money to do so. So from what you are saying go the Canon route as this will be the easiest to add to in the future?

• Advertisement

Just with regard to the above the Canon 60D is a poor choice if video is a priority. The focusing system is archaic and slow. And the options for video resolution are poor by modern standards, 1080p 30fps max on this one. I think the 70D suffers most of the same issues, I'm not 100% sure on focus, but it shoots 1080p 30 max.

A Canon M50 would be a good choice, they go for around your budget and do a lot for that money. Check youtube for reviews, they are all very favourable for it's video performance. Shoots 4k 25, as well as 1080p 60 which is impressive. And has one of the best autofocusing systems out there. For the money it's a great choice. The only slight caveat is that you would need to buy an adapter to use more standard canon lenses, but the adapters can be had for ~30eur. And he may not need it at all.

And lastly, I think you should really ask your son what he wants specifically. There might be others with cameras in the course already that get on good and bad. Or there might be specific requirements for the course.

And the Panasonic G7 is a well regarded video camera too. There's probably not too much between the two really, personal preference will come into it.

Thanks seems to go in line with what I have been reading online, there is a big price difference between the Canon and the Panasonic though. I'll have a chat with him this evening and see what he thinks. Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

he sprung this on me last night and I have zero clue about cameras, yes part of his course is that he will be making short movies.

If it's only part of a course and he hasn't shown much inclination for making movies up to now, I would be very cautious about getting anything too amazing.

I accept Alanstrainor's criticism of the spec of the Canon 60D & 70D but in the end, what really counts is how the camera is used. As I mentioned above, my daughter uses the 60D, and it didn't prevent her from getting a 1st class honours degree this year!

It's very easy to drool over a high-spec device, but it can be a slippery slope of expense and frustration. While it's wonderful to have 4k for example, it's completely unusable without a high-spec computer that can handle the massive file sizes. Now while the college probably has that kind of technology available, your son will have to compete with everyone else for time at the console - or you'll have to spend a couple of grand on getting him a newer, faster computer so that he can edit his footage at home!

When all is said and done, though, it really should be your son doing the research, as he'll have a much better idea of what's necessary as far as the course goes, and what desirable as far as his own interest is concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

My daughter is a film maker, recently graduated. Her first camera was a Lumix gh5. Highly recommended. On a par with that is the Sony a7III but with a little less stabilisation though it's low light performance is better.

Her first purchase after the camera was a Canon adaptor so she could "borrow" my lenses.
    Then she borrowed my tripod.
    Then my filters.
    Suddenly she found a use for my lights. Now she needs my car to transport all "Her" gear to shoots. :(

EDIT: Sorry, just noticed your budget. Both of my recommendations are about 3 times your limit.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭rock22

The camera you link to, the Panasonic G7 , is known to be good for video.
    There is a miny review here
    And another here

But you might want to ask your son. Sometimes having the same camera as most of the class is worth more than any single specification

Thanks all I actually ended up getting him the nikkon d3500 with vr lens, got it for €350. Thanks for all the responses much appreciate

• Advertisement
Advertisement