Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air con Tech work in Canada

Options
  • 25-11-2019 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Thinking about moving to Canada for a few years .I am a qualified Air Con technician .Is there demand out there for my skills .Where would be the best area to search I wonder .I am thinking of going for maybe five years and then come home to Ireland with the price of a house .Possibly unrealistic I know .All advice greatly appreciated .Thanks for reading this .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

If your trade is anything to do with being on building sites than I'd say there is a huge demand. New condos going up everyday and demand seems to be booming.

If you're under 35, go for the IEC visa - will allow you to work anywhere for anyone in Canada for 2 years. You must then prove you've gained enough experience to stay after that.

Check this out: IEC Canada

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

There is a huge demand for ac techs here. Why go there? You get from 19 to 25 quid and hour here depending on your negotiating skills.

You won’t save much in Canada.

How much experience have you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

I see you have been self employed. Is there a reason you can’t sub work here?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

cityboyjim wrote: »
    Is there demand out there for my skills
    Yeah. How are you with heat? They love their air con during the summer, as it's 32 degrees Celcius, maybe 37, or 39 degrees with the humidity. And if you're the guy fixing the air-con, it means you'll have to be able to deal with that heat.

It'd say Toronto would be your best bet; large city, lots of businesses, and it gets hot during the summer so air-con is in demand.

Not sure if your qualifications will carry over, though; that's something you should look into.

What age are you? If under 35, look at the Work/Holiday IEC visa. Go over for two years, see how you like it. Whatever you do, don't the the work visa, as that'll tie you to one company, and have heard of how some companies can take the piss. The work/holiday visa allows you to move to other companies whilst in Canada, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭cityboyjim

Thanks a million guys.Not long qualified to be honest .My main experience is installing .Not so much the repairs but have some experience of that .Just want to experience other cultures for a while and also make money .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Not long qualified to be honest
    How long did the qualification take? I think over in Canada, it's a 3-4 year apprenticeship?
    Just want to experience other cultures for a while and also make money .
    Toronto is great. Most people who go over for the two years IEC, stay if they can.

Advertisement