Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New air to water system

• 25-11-2019 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi
    I have a new air to water heating system and am having a few issues / questions about the setup that i'm struggling to get answers from the supplier.

1. we have a radiator in our room that makes a lot of noise. it sounds like amplified water dropping into a tin cracking or something (its hard to explain).
    I've bled the radiator loads and no air is coming out. (i dont think - as soon as i start to bleed it water comes out anyway)

2. the radiators were barely getting warm, i know that this is kind of the idea of air to water, but they were barely warm at all. the temperature on the controller had a range of 5-35 but nothing really worked. the installer camme out and made some changes (i wasnt there so i dont know what was changed), now the range on the controller is 30 - 60. our radiators get hot now, but thats a huge discrepancy in the ranges and i dont understand why such a difference would exist. and why couldnt it go from 5-60

would love to hear how others use their heat pump systems, do they leave heating on all day every day?

does anyone have general advice on heat pumps - i asked the manufacturer for general use guides and they sent me the technical install document which doesnt really explain anything for me. Its very technical and i'm not a plumber, i'm loooking for a "home owners" guide.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭ShanE90

What make model do you have?

The correct setup for a heat pump is “always on”

A fixed flow temp is not the most efficient way of operation.

Best setup uses the manufacturers own room thermistor/controller to measure the actual room temp and adjust the flow temp accordingly providing the minimum flow temp to maintain the house at say 20deg, this is the most efficient way as the system ‘learns’ the heating profile of the house.

Next best is using a compensation curve to determine a specific flow temp at a given ambient eg 45deg @-3 and 32 deg @15 (for rads) the curve temp can be increased or decreased to find the sweet spot that keeps the house at the same temp all year round regardless of the ambient.

It’s 9deg outside at the moment, the flow temp to my rads is 35, they are warm and often feel cooler however the room temp doesn’t ever drop below 20

Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Latro

Run it on weather compensating curve. It should be constantly feeding your house with the same amount of energy that is lost.

You have to experiment yourself. Every house and its occupants are different.

Ideally it should run 24/7 at lowest possible temperature. This approach is the best for your wallet and the lifespan of the heat pump.

My 9kW A2W unit runs almost all the time consuming somewhere between 400-800W of energy.

The curve is set as follows:
    external air temp -5 to +15 and this corresponds to water flow temperature of +38 to +28.

These settings give me constant 20.5 to 21 degrees room temperature all the time.
    200sqm all rads, no UFH.

If you don't know where to start you can use the above setting and work from there. If it's too warm/cold inside go down/up by 1-2 degree on water flow, wait 1-2 days, rinse and repeat. Eventually you'll find perfect settings for you. Do not try to run it in short intervals with higher water temp. It will be counter productive.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

Hi. Just curious to what this translates to in terms of electricity bills if its always on? Have you done a comparison with old heating system costs?

Heat pump running cost from the manufacturer app.
    2018/19 in euros: Sep 10, Oct 44, Nov 64, Dec 61, Jan 81, Feb 61, Mar 62, Apr 43, May 17, total: 443
    2019/20 : Sep 7, Oct 44, Nov to date 62.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 colm L

its a ferroli RVI heat pump.
    I dont see any option for "Weather compensation" mode, or by this do you mean to manually set it a certain way.
    so the recommended way to run it would be to run it 24x7 (maybe enable eco mode at night time?) but maintain the lowest temp it has - which at the moment is 30degrees (though we can use apps and schedules separatley to reduce the UFH - which is controller via another periphery controller)

• Advertisement

I googled Ferroli RVI and I think it is called WEATHER TEMP. SET

hi,
    yes i went through the manuals and googling myself too.
    I set the Weather temp settings to be in "Heat Mode (High Temperature)". - enabled option 4 (see attached screenshot of options / curve)
    so i've set the temp of the system to 45 degrees now and will just leave it on all the time
    I've turned on eco mode to come on from 10pm to 6am and enabled silent mode too.
    hopefully this is all good.

CHeers

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭scabo33

Hi everyone, we are moving into a new house with air to water pump installed and underfloor heating. How do I work it and what temperature should we set it to? Any tips for efficiency would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Cork981

scabo33 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, we are moving into a new house with air to water pump installed and underfloor heating. How do I work it and what temperature should we set it to? Any tips for efficiency would be great.

I’ve set all downstairs rooms to 21c and upstairs 20c, I just leave it permanently on.

scabo33 wrote: »

Hi,
    I did what i said i was going to do. - turn on climate mode - the heat coming from the system is relative to the temperature outside (the colder it is outside, the hotter the water is through the system and vice versa)
    the first bill wasnt great but i assume based on what others have said is that the system is "learning" the heat profile and now i can see that the pump turns off a fair bit of the time.
    I'm hoping my next bill will be reflective of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Metalpanic

Hi everyone,

I have been living in a new build with A2W heat pump for about a year now. We were told moving in not to change the settings that were preset on the system and the panel is actually locked out which I found strange. Im pretty tech savvy and would have liked to optimise for the house, but I assume it was done by the installer! Anyway, I am not happy with the room stats that were installed. They are the standard analogue dial type and seem to be pretty inaccurate. The upstairs zone stat is located in the master bedroom and I have heard it click off and not switch the valve to turn off the heating. Could anyone recommend a digital type that I could perhaps fit myself? Our system is always on so the stat does not have to be programmable or smart, but I would like it to look half decent.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭John.G

Latro wrote: »
    Heat pump running cost from the manufacturer app.
    2018/19 in euros: Sep 10, Oct 44, Nov 64, Dec 61, Jan 81, Feb 61, Mar 62, Apr 43, May 17, total: 443
    2019/20 : Sep 7, Oct 44, Nov to date 62.

How do you heat your water?, presumably to 60c at least once/day or once/week?.

John.G wrote: »
    How do you heat your water?, presumably to 60c at least once/day or once/week?.

At point of delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭John.G

Latro wrote: »
    At point of delivery.

Via the heat pump?

John.G wrote: »
    Via the heat pump?

No, I use heat pump for space heating only at the moment.

There is literally no interest in my house for a bath to justify 300 liters of hot water standing in the hot press 24/7. I don't think it's used more than once or twice a year.

I plumed and wired for 3 small size under sink water heaters + electric shower.
    I find it very annoying to wait for the hot water to be pushed from the cylinder into the kitchen tap. Now it's instant.
    Most of the time if you have long run of pipes there is more hot water wasted than actually used.

Small factor heaters are very cheap and simple to install.

hi,
    my latest bill was just under 600 euro for 2 months, thats leaving the heating just on all the time with eco mode coming on between 7pm and 6am each night.
    there has to be a better way to run the heating system than this?
    Thanks

colm L wrote: »
    hi,
    my latest bill was just under 600 euro for 2 months, thats leaving the heating just on all the time with eco mode coming on between 7pm and 6am each night.
    there has to be a better way to run the heating system than this?
    Thanks

Did you figure out what is the lowest possible temperature flow to achieve comfort you like?

Your focus should be on dropping it as low as possible. This is where the savings are.

600 euro for 2 months is extremely high. It can't be set properly.

Advertisement