Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaf Blowers

Options
  • 25-11-2019 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭

It is a waste of technology. A Springbok rake does the job perfectly.
    Where I live a man arrived in a Land Rover, and is using a noisy leaf blower to blow them off the grass. When he is gone the wind will blow them back.

Is there a more useless modern solution to a non-problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's better used as a sex aid I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Where I live a man arrived in a Land Rover, and is using a noisy leaf blower to blow them off the grass. When he is gone the wind will blow them back.

Cut the trees down and less of your nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭Melodeon

They're fantastic for cleaning out machinery that lives in dusty and dry environments; things like combine harvesters, balers, etc, and forestry machinery like timber harvesters and firewood processors.
    Mighty job for 'sweeping' out haysheds and the like too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

*They're also excellent for making funny faces

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Any good for cat hair? Might blast the house out with one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭KevRossi

It's better used as a sex aid I hear.

'Blow' is just a figure of speech..'Suck Mary Lou, Suck!!'

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We have guys use them for “sweeping” towns and car parks. Great to blow dust and dirt along even under cars to be collected in a pile.

If your clearing large areas of leaves a rake isn’t an option either.

Plus, the backpack blowers are great crack to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Yes, try clearing leaves from an acre of grass with a spring tine rake! Especially when you have a woodland adjoining. Been there done that for too many wasted years.

Done properly the leaves won't blow back.

I love my leaf blower, one of the best tools in a gardener's armoury. Does a great job of sweeping the driveway all year round too. And even shifted the snow last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

This is such a waste of time and effort. It doesn't serve any purpose to blow leaves around the place.

Had one of these contraptions myself but there was no point in using it for anything

I suppose you don’t wipe your hole either after using the toilet after dropping a log.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I saw "electric egg cookers" in Aldi today, some kind of device that cooks like 8 of them in their shells in a little dome.
    What a waste of materials and energy, you shouldn't be allowed import this kind of crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

They're great when the area is dry, gets the job done so much faster.

If it's damp out it's useless though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

BeerWolf wrote: »
    They're great when the area is dry, gets the job done so much faster.

If it's damp out it's useless though.

Damp don’t make no difference to professional back pack blowers. Mama and papa ones maybe.

I saw "electric egg cookers" in Aldi today, some kind of device that cooks like 8 of them in their shells in a little dome.
    What a waste of materials and energy, you shouldn't be allowed import this kind of crap.

*puts on coat and goes to Aldi....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭tc20

Handy thing to have in the work canteen where you don't have a hob.
    (and you want something eggy)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Cerveza wrote: »
    I suppose you don’t wipe your hole either after using the toilet after dropping a log.

Ah no shur u just need a good blower to blow all the bits of sh1t away. U have to mop down all the walls of the bathroom every few months when it gets a bit brown but it saves buying toilet paper

I concur.

Anything you can possibly make out of plastic and put a little heating element in the Chinese have invented it and sent over a good few containers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

tc20 wrote: »
    Handy thing to have in the work canteen where you don't have a hob.
    (and you want something eggy)

then buy one of those plug in hobs!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Yes, try clearing leaves from an acre of grass with a spring tine rake! Especially when you have a woodland adjoining. Been there done that for too many wasted years.

Done properly the leaves won't blow back.

I love my leaf blower, one of the best tools in a gardener's armoury. Does a great job of sweeping the driveway all year round too. And even shifted the snow last year.

^^ This. A full acre with a rake would be soul destroying and the grass would be ruined if left. We're also beside a large wooded area but have less grass and use the rakes. The kids love it :pac:

One of hour neighbours dries his Shelby GT Mustang with his leaf blower after washing it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

bought the top stihl back pack one for cleaning bike trails the other week and it is top class... wouldn't be without.. moves small rocks, sticks all sorts and all at walking pace

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

John_Rambo wrote: »
    ^^ This. A full acre with a rake would be soul destroying and the grass would be ruined if left. We're also beside a large wooded area but have less grass and use the rakes. The kids love it :pac:

One of hour neighbours dries his Shelby GT Mustang with his leaf blower after washing it!!

Youd think taking it for a good tear would dry it

How do you know that is inefficient? It's probably more efficient than heating a litre of water to boil one egg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Noisy bloody things, hate them. Used to be woken up every bloody morning come Autumn by neighbours using them on the street outside their apartment building a few years back and now I never want to hear one again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Wesekn.

I think they're ridiculous

I can't take anyone seriously if I see them blowing leaves around

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Can't understand what motivates someone to blow leaves off their drive or garden.

I suppose we all have to feel in control of something in our lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

PARlance wrote: »
    Can't understand what motivates someone to blow leaves off their drive or garden.

I suppose we all have to feel in control of something in our lives.

Safety , the look of them , not good for grass etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Wesekn. wrote: »
    I think they're ridiculous

I can't take anyone seriously if I see them blowing leaves around

What do you expect them to clean up leaves with

Advertisement