Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to photography ...camera purchase

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,684 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

when you say decent depth of field, do you want a lot or a little?
    for instructional videos, i would assume you want a lot of depth of field - so bokeh wouldn't be a factor?

if you want very shallow depth of field, that's not the best lens, you'd be better off with a standard prime lens. 50mm f1.8, or probably more versatile, a 35mmf1.8.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

when you say decent depth of field, do you want a lot or a little?
    for instructional videos, i would assume you want a lot of depth of field - so bokeh wouldn't be a factor?

if you want very shallow depth of field, that's not the best lens, you'd be better off with a standard prime lens. 50mm f1.8, or probably more versatile, a 35mmf1.8.

I mean I want the foreground sharp and the background blurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

I mean I want the foreground sharp and the background blurry.

Like this

https://youtu.be/VI4kxDe8NIM

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,684 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's not the camera you need to worry about so much, so. the lens is what creates that effect, and the kits lens that comes with the camera won't give you what you need. on the kit lens, the max aperture is f3.5, but you can pick up lenses which give f1.8 (you want this number to be smaller) for quite reasonable prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭victor8600

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭victor8600

What about camcorders? Are they any good for shallow DOF? Would it be more logical to use a dedicated video camera instead of a DSLR?

Advertisement