Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

finding part time jobs as non Irish resident

Options
  • 25-11-2019 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi,

I am a Malaysian national. I studied in Ireland for 3 years (I've graduated now). During this time, I usual did casual work at Asian/ chinese restaurants.

I tried applying for jobs in coffee shops, Spar, Penneys etc jobs run by Irish managers. But it seems they never get back to me.

I have some Irish friends though, they can still get jobs even though they don't have experience and they get in job training.

I hope I don't sound racist but would managers be worried I can't speak proper English or is it they prefer local people? I've noticed that 90% of my Asian friends would work in Asian restaurants rather than other type of part time jobs.

Just something I want to get people's opinion about.

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Do you have a work permit or would they need to arrange one for you?

I don't know how all this works. It's possible they don't too...

• Registered Users Posts: 38 jimj292

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Do you have a work permit or would they need to arrange one for you?

I don't know how all this works. It's possible they don't too...

Yeah I do have valid visa to be in Ireland to work. Just kind of curious why non EU students usually work in Chinese restaurants or takeaways.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

About 8 or 9 years ago when one of mine worked in a well know supermarket chain the managers were all told only those with a work permit and right of residence were to be given interviews, the fact that you are going to have to produce the work permit is another issue for the manager that they would not have for an irish person and this may be a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

jimj292 wrote: »
    Yeah I do have valid visa to be in Ireland to work. Just kind of curious why non EU students usually work in Chinese restaurants or takeaways.

If I had to guess, I think it's about minimising risk.

You are somewhat of an unknown quantity, so if they can choose a local who they are sure they understand, they are going to pick that person.

I know people like to say "diversity is our strength", but it's not really true. People are tribal and they like to surround themselves with people who think the same.

Could you try getting a waitressing job in a Japanese restaurant? Tips are probably good...

You should also look at call centres.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I'd expect that Chinese and similar businesses are more familiar with the work permit requirements and are more used to dealing with it that most of the Irish companies.

Managers like everyone else tend to take the path of least resistance so they'll take on the local or EU person because they don't have to make the extra effort to get familiar with your situation.

It is probably worth explaining it when you make the application or speak to them in person and see if that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hi,

I am a Malaysian national. I studied in Ireland for 3 years (I've graduated now). During this time, I usual did casual work at Asian/ chinese restaurants.

I tried applying for jobs in coffee shops, Spar, Penneys etc jobs run by Irish managers. But it seems they never get back to me.

I have some Irish friends though, they can still get jobs even though they don't have experience and they get in job training.

I hope I don't sound racist but would managers be worried I can't speak proper English or is it they prefer local people? I've noticed that 90% of my Asian friends would work in Asian restaurants rather than other type of part time jobs.

Just something I want to get people's opinion about.

Thanks.
    It was probably the work permit thing. Most of them limit your hours. They'd usually prefer people who are flexible in what hours they can do and when.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Jim2007 wrote: »
    I'd expect that Chinese and similar businesses are more familiar with the work permit requirements and are more used to dealing with it that most of the Irish companies.

Managers like everyone else tend to take the path of least resistance so they'll take on the local or EU person because they don't have to make the extra effort to get familiar with your situation.

It is probably worth explaining it when you make the application or speak to them in person and see if that helps.
    A lot of them would know but some people come to arrangements with smaller employers. Agree on the EU nationals, it's so much easier for them.

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    If I had to guess, I think it's about minimising risk.

You are somewhat of an unknown quantity, so if they can choose a local who they are sure they understand, they are going to pick that person.

I know people like to say "diversity is our strength", but it's not really true. People are tribal and they like to surround themselves with people who think the same.

Could you try getting a waitressing job in a Japanese restaurant? Tips are probably good...

You should also look at call centres.

True, maybe it's something to do with communication...

Jim2007 wrote: »

Idk about that. As non EU students, we don't need a work permit to work part time. But you maybe right, taking on a local or EU person maybe be more culturally relative.

Advertisement