Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Citizenship: residency or marriage

Options
  • 25-11-2019 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

My husband is from the UK and wants to apply for citizenship here. He has lived here since 2010 and we've been married since 2014 so he qualifies both by residency and marriage. Is there any benefit to applying via one or the other? In processing time, applications approved etc? Should we just fill in all the sections and info and effectively give them the info for each type of naturalisation?

I contacted the office but they just said it's up to us.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dennyk

Marriage to an Irish national doesn't confer any automatic or special right to citizenship, it only reduces the period of reckonable residence required to apply for naturalisation from five years to three. If he's been residing here since 2010, it really makes no difference in his case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

I think someone else decided it was easier to apply based on residency as that only required getting together paperwork for one person.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

seagull wrote: »
    I think someone else decided it was easier to apply based on residency as that only required getting together paperwork for one person.

That’s the absolute truth. Applying via residency means only having to get bills etc for the applicant not the Irish spouse

Advertisement