Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how can you tell if you need to replace your chain on your bike?

Options
  • 24-11-2019 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

how can you tell if you need to replace your chain on your bike apart from going to bike shop and asking them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,131 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I usually use a ruler to check for stretch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if the chain is badly worn, it can skip and wear down other components, such as the teeth on the cassette and chainwheel.
    you can also measure your chain; chains stretch as they wear - the likes of halfords stock chain wear tools, but it's possible to diagnose it by measuring your chain or using other rule of thumb measurements such as whether you can pull the chain away from the chainwheel on your bike by any significant amount.

however, i suspect a simple rule of thumb applies - if you think your chain is worn, it probably is.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,959 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

With a chain checker:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/park-tool-chain-checker-cc-3-2/rp-prod5784

Much easier than farting around with rulers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Chain Checker here too. Although even then, don't check as much as I should!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Chain checker, or look at how it sits on the chain wheel and cassette, if it doesn’t sit down fully it’s time to change it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Strobing

Came back from club spin yesterday noticing one of my chain links is bent causing chain to skip.

I can bend it back/replace the link, but do I ideally need to just buy a new chain?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

however, i suspect a simple rule of thumb applies - if you think your chain is worn, it probably is.

This. I tend to check it when shifting starts to deteriorate and know the chain is on the way out once it gets a bit rattly / loose. I usually use the old chain to measure the new one where the old chain is about 1/2 a link longer.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Strobing wrote: »
    Came back from club spin yesterday noticing one of my chain links is bent causing chain to skip.

I can bend it back/replace the link, but do I ideally need to just buy a new chain?

Chains are cheap. Just replace it I'd say.

Advertisement