Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energia Zone Heating Offer

Options
  • 23-11-2019 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Been thinking about getting some sort of smart thermostat into our house. We have a gas boiler and it has two switches, one for downstairs rads and the second for upstairs and hot water. It’s a 3 storey house so our room on the top floor can get pretty cold unless we leave the heating on for ages but our two girls bedrooms in the middle floor get roasting if we do this. So we’re hoping to get something which might give us lots of different zones and I saw this offer on energia.ie for only €260 and it seems to good to be true?! Has anyone availed of this offer

https://www.energia.ie/cosy-homes/zoned-heating-controls

If anyone has other recommendations then please let me know

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Very little information on it I'd be curious about what it is they are supplying.
    Have you enquired with them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭bungaro79

No, was holding off to see if I got any replies on here first but like yourself I thought the information was very sparse

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭deeobrien

I filled out their inquiry form and they rang just there.

The €260 is if you are an Energia customer it costs a bit more (300+) if you are not an Energia customer. It covers separating your heating from your hot water. If you want to also separate upstairs heating from downstairs heatung (as I do in my case) its a 3 zone system which would cost an additional €260.

I assume this includes a 7 day timer etc. I didn't ask any more questions as my house is already plumbed for two heating zones. I'm not sure if I want/need to get the hot water part separated so I left it at that.

I'd a missed call from them after filing our the form, I'd be curious about it as currently we only have single zone for heating and water, must give them ring back to get the details

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Does this work with home automation devices like Alexa?

• Advertisement

So the bulk of the discount is coming via the SEAI heating controls grant, couldn't get too much more info from person on phone.
    Would need to arrange engineer visit to look at the system to get more info on exactly what they would be installing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

If the only issue that you're having with the heating is an imbalance between the heat on the middle and top floors then I'd suggest that if you're handy, you could try balancing the radiators (lots of tutorials on line). This option is free.

The second option, because the middle and top floors are all one zone, is to have thermostatic radiator valves fitted to the radiators on both floors. That would mean that as each room comes up to the required temperature, the radiator in that room will switch off so the middle floor rooms won't overheat. Any decent plumber should be able to do this. There's no grant for that work on its own but if you got programmable heating controls installed at the same time by an SEAI registered company then you'd get the €700 grant.

The thermostatic radiator valves are what you really need. The programmable controls are handy for the grant, extra control of the heating and possibly remote access but don't get talked into the easy option - focus on what your needs are.

Advertisement