Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuart ST66 Water Pump (Positive Head)

Options
  • 23-11-2019 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi

My waterpump (Stuart ST66) has started to malfunction recently.....The hot water is mixing into the cold tap.
    I did some trouble shooting by switching off the cold feed from the overhead tank to the Pump but when I run a cold tap ....the Pump starts up and pumps hot water comes to the Cold tap:(

Can these pumps be repaired? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Erm that model pump there is no mixture. The two feeds and outputs are completely separate and are powered by the same motor.

There should be zero mixing at the pump at all.

Are you sure your mixer isn't the problem and not the pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

roman0red wrote: »
    Hi

My waterpump (Stuart ST66) has started to malfunction recently.....The hot water is mixing into the cold tap.
    I did some trouble shooting by switching off the cold feed from the overhead tank to the Pump but when I run a cold tap ....the Pump starts up and pumps hot water comes to the Cold tap:(

Can these pumps be repaired? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

The ST66 is an obsolete Stuart Turner model with the two pump heads joined together at one end of the pump motor.
    The symptoms is typical with age and use. The separation seal between the two pump sections has broken down and is allowing water from one side to pass through to the other.
    Repairs involve dismantling the pump heads and replacing the seals.
    Given the age of the pump, and how noisy they can be, it might be more prudent to invest in a new pump.
    But it is generally repairable, unless there is a crack in the inner casing.

ST66
    st55-shower-pump.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭roman0red

K.Flyer wrote: »
    The ST66 is an obsolete Stuart Turner model with the two pump heads joined together at one end of the pump motor.
    The symptoms is typical with age and use. The separation seal between the two pump sections has broken down and is allowing water from one side to pass through to the other.
    Repairs involve dismantling the pump heads and replacing the seals.
    Given the age of the pump, and how noisy they can be, it might be more prudent to invest in a new pump.
    But it is generally repairable, unless there is a crack in the inner casing.

Thanks Flyer ...that's the pump for sure and thanks for confirming my fears. Whats your thoughts on reconditioned pumps? Sounds like i'll need to replace it one way or another
    Thanks Eamon

Depends.
    Is your pump only connected to one shower, or is it connected to sinks and wc as well?

Depends.
    Is your pump only connected to one shower, or is it connected to sinks and wc as well?

It pumping water to Sinks, WC and one shower. Thanks

• Advertisement

The new model that supersedes the ST66 is designed for use on a single shower only, so if it services toilets and sinks as well, then it voids the warranty.
    If you only need a Positive Head pump, then for longevity and better value for money I would suggest a new brass bodied Stuart Turner Standard 2.0 bar positive head pump.

The new model that supersedes the ST66 is designed for use on a single shower only, so if it services toilets and sinks as well, then it voids the warranty.
    If you only need a Positive Head pump, then for longevity and better value for money I would suggest a new brass bodied Stuart Turner Standard 2.0 bar positive head pump.

Thanks

Any idea what the difference between a ST55 and a ST66 pump is?

roman0red wrote: »
    Thanks

Any idea what the difference between a ST55 and a ST66 pump is?

The difference between the two was pressure, the old 55 was 1.5 bar and the 66 was 2.0 bar.
    Stuart Turner "showermate" would be their modern equivalent, though not suitable for multiple connections.

Advertisement