Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Fire air vent

Options
  • 23-11-2019 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

I just yesterday purchased a new Gas inset has fire and waiting on delivery.
    It’s the same as this one, https://abell.co.uk/gazco-logic-he-convector-gas-fire--designio2--conventional-flue_p31641127.htm

The lady in the shop said I need to install an air vent in the room, however the manual and numerous websites say I dont.

It will be installed in a fireplace with a chimney and I have trickle vents in windows.
    Any RGI familiar with these models?

I don’t want to install a vent if I don’t need to but obviously if it requires one I will put one in!

An RGI will be installing it but I just want to reduce costs and have vent cored out if need be.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,137 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

You need a permanently open vent in the room.... Sized to suit appliance

Trickle vents in windows are not permanently open.

TGD J 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

sydthebeat wrote: »
    You need a permanently open vent in the room.... Sized to suit appliance

Trickle vents in windows are not permanently open.

TGD J 2014

Manufacturers say I don’t but I take it Irish Regs say I do! Thanks for your reply!

TheBully wrote: »
    Manufacturers say I don’t but I take it Irish Regs say I do! Thanks for your reply!

Unless it's getting its air from either a balanced flue, or a separate external air in take, it needs a permanent vent.

In other words, if it takes it air from the room, it needs a permanent vent.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

Unless it's getting its air from either a balanced flue, or a separate external air in take, it needs a permanent vent.

In other words, if it takes it air from the room, it needs a permanent vent.

Thanks a million, I’ll get that done during the week so, and have the co2 alarm up!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Hey Guys. If you don't use the gas fireplace would it be alright to block the vent temporarily. Just moved into a new rented house and the cold breeze coming into the room with the vent is ridiculous. The rest of the house is quite warm except for the living room which just never really heats up when it's just the central heating on and its starting to annoy me at this stage. The room does get warm when the gas fire is on but I don't want to be using the gas fire all the time. The radiator in the room should be enough but the vent isnt allowing this. It kind of defeats the purpose in my opinion to have a gas fire with a massive vent that let's in a serious amount of cold air

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Hey Guys. If you don't use the gas fireplace would it be alright to block the vent temporarily. Just moved into a new rented house and the cold breeze coming into the room with the vent is ridiculous. The rest of the house is quite warm except for the living room which just never really heats up and its starting to annoy me at this stage.
    just buy one of woodies that has slider on it problem solved, can open close whenever you want with a slight push, think even possible to get one for outside where it could be open or shut manually. ebay or amazon places best to look, as its piece of plastic with few screws.

as when had my ber cert done, guy looked at rooms and suggested getting ones with sliders to keep heat in, dont need in few as their fairly warm, but def rgi requirement where fireplace is.

lack of permanent ventilation can and has been a major factor to the cause of some deaths.

Vents with sliders are not permanent ventilation.

Often I have found vents blocked or sliders closed in situations where products of combination have entered the room, this is a obvious indicator of natural selection.

If you don’t wish to use a fire then remove the fire before choosing to block any ventilation.

gary71 wrote: »
    lack of permanent ventilation can and has been a major factor to the cause of death.

Vents with sliders are not permanent ventilation.

Often I have found vents blocked or sliders closed in situations where products of combination have entered the room, this is a obvious indicator of natural selection.

If you don’t wish to use a fire then remove the fire before choosing to block any ventilation.

I'm renting so the owner of the house would need to remove the gas fire and I highly doubt they will. I was asking is it OK to temporarily block the vent while the Gas fire is not in use. I will not be using the gas fire and a valves will be closed.

I'm renting so the owner of the house would need to remove the gas fire and I highly doubt they will. I was asking is it OK to temporarily block the vent while the Gas fire is not in use. I will not be using the gas fire and a valves will be closed.

No its not.

Block up the gas fire instead.

No its not.

Block up the gas fire instead.

So block up the gas fire but not the vent??????

• Advertisement

I would say no due to my own experiences.

I have often seen gas fires that are dangerous due to diy temporary ventilation fixes, nobody thinks it’s going to be them also fires with temporary blocked vents, vent sliders or chimneys have in the past been used by others who didn’t understand the risks and at times died.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭jonny_b

gary71 wrote: »
    I would say no due to my own experiences.

I have often seen gas fires that are dangerous due to diy temporary ventilation fixes, nobody thinks it’s going to be them also fires with temporary blocked vents, vent sliders or chimneys have in the past been used by others who didn’t understand the risks and at times died.

If you intend on not putting a vent in, at the very least put a carbon monoxide alarm in the room.

So block up the gas fire but not the vent??????

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭dathi

scamalert wrote: »
    just buy one of woodies that has slider on it problem solved, can open close whenever you want with a slight push, think even possible to get one for outside where it could be open or shut manually. ebay or amazon places best to look, as its piece of plastic with few screws.

as when had my ber cert done, guy looked at rooms and suggested getting ones with sliders to keep heat in, dont need in few as their fairly warm, but def rgi requirement where fireplace is.

you cannot put sliding closer on the permanent ventilation opening it must remain open at all times. and it is a building regulation part J, requirement for all open combustion appliances regardless of what the fuel is ie. wood coal oil or gas, so not just an rgi reg

dathi wrote: »
    you cannot put sliding closer on the permanent ventilation opening it must remain open at all times. and it is a building regulation part J, requirement for all open combustion appliances regardless of what the fuel is ie. wood coal oil or gas, so not just an rgi reg

But if I never use the gas fire and board the fire place up can I cover the vent then as I will not be using the gas Fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭dathi

But if I never use the gas fire and board the fire place up can I cover the vent then as I will not be using the gas Fire?

if the gas fire is removed and the fireplace permanently removed /boarded up then you would not have to comply with part J building regs (heat producing appliances) as there would be no appliance in the room, how ever you would have to comply with part F (ventilation) which requires you to have ventilation in the room but this grill could have a slider on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dmurphy1987

Table 4 in TGD J states there is no requirement for background ventilation for an open-flued gas appliance with an input rating of 7kW or less once the room is greater than 10m3.
    This gas inset fire has an input of less than 7kW. Does this not meet the criteria for no permanent ventilation? This is not a decorative fuel-effect fire as per Diagram 15.

Advertisement