Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First electric Lexus unveiled, UX 300e crossover

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Is this self charging? :o

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Those maths don't add up.

54kWh capacity can fill in 50 minutes @ 50kW?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Soarer wrote: »
    Those maths don't add up.

54kWh capacity can fill in 50 minutes @ 50kW?

Maybe they meant 5.4kWh!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Such a half hearted effort by them.

That UX is fairly ordinary in crossover terms.

They are having a laugh with 50 kw charging - I'd say the 50 minutes charge time is a mistake and it's actually 50 minutes from 20 to 80 percent or something silly like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Old diesel wrote: »
    Such a half hearted effort by them.

That UX is fairly ordinary in crossover terms.

They are having a laugh with 50 kw charging - I'd say the 50 minutes charge time is a mistake and it's actually 50 minutes from 20 to 80 percent or something silly like that.
    Or it’s a 54 kWh battery with only 41.6kwh useable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,979 ✭✭✭✭unkel

PaulRyan97 wrote: »
    [*]400km range (NEDC), would expect 300-330km WLTP

Nope. You can take away about 30% from the NEDC charge to get WLTP, so more like 280km

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

The same hideous grille as on their ICE cars. A tiny screen. Very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

I could see it being pretty successful if it is priced competitively. There is part of EV market that is happy with classical ICE looks and it may overlap with part of market willing to pay extra for Lexus brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I just noticed they're placing their bets on Chademo for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,558 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'm just here to lol at the idea of launching with chademo, after seeing Bjorn's video about this car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I wonder if it’s a pointer to the wider Toyota group going Chademo in the platform they’re developing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,558 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

JohnC. wrote: »
    I wonder if it’s a pointer to the wider Toyota group going Chademo in the platform they’re developing.
    the mirai has a chademo plug, and the rav 4 EV came with the ability to (aftermarket) add a chademo plug.

Absolute and utter nonsense if you ask me, limiting it to 50kW for all intensive porpoises in the wild, and no Ionity access.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ELM327 wrote: »
    the mirai has a chademo plug, and the rav 4 EV came with the ability to (aftermarket) add a chademo plug.

Absolute and utter nonsense if you ask me, limiting it to 50kW for all intensive porpoises in the wild, and no Ionity access.

From what I dimly recall, Toyota was derided for a long time for not producing a diesel, when everyone in Europe was buying nothing else. They wouldn't have been able to sell any diesels in the US due to NOX (and maybe particulates?) but the motoring press skimmed over all that like the pathetic saps they are. And look where that ended up.

So I can see why non-European companies take their own positions on engineering, but you'd be mad to buy a fast-charging Chademo car now, so either they'll decide not to sell them in Europe, or they'll sell them to people who don't know any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Maybe the Japanese are planning their own version of Ionity?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Lumen wrote: »
    From what I dimly recall, Toyota was derided for a long time for not producing a diesel, when everyone in Europe was buying nothing else. They wouldn't have been able to sell any diesels in the US due to NOX (and maybe particulates?) but the motoring press skimmed over all that like the pathetic saps they are. And look where that ended up.

So I can see why non-European companies take their own positions on engineering, but you'd be mad to buy a fast-charging Chademo car now, so either they'll decide not to sell them in Europe, or they'll sell them to people who don't know any better.

They should really localise it for Europe, to have CCS. Although to be fair, they should a left hooker with English screens in the rendering...

• Registered Users Posts: 64,979 ✭✭✭✭unkel

samih wrote: »
    Maybe the Japanese are planning their own version of Ionity?

Not a chance. They're only hanging onto CHAdeMO as it's their cheapest option. It's been an obsolete technology for a long time. They will have to invest in CCS and if they're smart they'll do so for their home market too at the same time and not let it linger much longer

The only thing in its favour is that in the aftermath of the Fukushima disaster it was further developed as a two-way protocol (allowing charging, but also discharging), which is still not possible with CCS, but being developed. Not that there is any need for fast DC discharging (for V2H / V2G), never mind the huge hardware cost and beefing up of home electricity supplies. AC will do fine.

Thats a decent battery warranty they are providing...

https://newsroom.lexus.eu/ux-300e-first-all-electric-lexus-offers-class-leading-quality-and-a-10-year-battery-warranty/

It also appears to be only air cooled using a similar system to the Ioniq with a/c air from the cabin pumped into the pack and they have a battery heater also.

They must have alot of confidence in the battery to give a 10yr (1m km) warranty and no liquid cooling... then again it only charges at <50kW so its not going to be under too much pressure heat wise.

PaulRyan97 wrote: »
    https://www.motor1.com/news/383794/lexus-ux-300e-revealed/
    • 54kWh battery
    • 400km range (NEDC), would expect 300-330km WLTP
    • 50 minutes from empty to full using a 50kW fast charger
    • Available in Europe 2021

Looks like pre-ordering for the UK in Jun for Jan 2021 delivery.

Looks like WLTP will be ~300km.

Price will be the thing. I'd guess Model 3 money (<€50k after grants) so not really competitive when you look at the stats but its not competing with Model 3... more like Model Y, which it probably will be cheaper than.

Old diesel wrote: »
    I'd say the 50 minutes charge time is a mistake and it's actually 50 minutes from 20 to 80 percent or something silly like that.

Its 0-80% in 50mins and it has 52kWh usable so 42kWh pumped in in 50mins which is about right for 50kW CHAdeMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

KCross wrote: »
    Thats a decent battery warranty they are providing...
    It seems like a similar setup to the Hybrid Battery Extended Care Programme that Toyota/Lexus offer, which currently extends the warranty to 15 years with annual checks (part of standard service, or €50 with Toyota).
    It also appears to be only air cooled using a similar system to the Ioniq with a/c air from the cabin pumped into the pack and they have a battery heater also.
    This is also something they've been doing with hybrids for a long time: There are vents around the rear seats that pull cabin air (via fans) to the battery. Easier to do when the small traction battery is underneath the rear seats or boot floor though - will be interesting to see how they achieve this with a battery that runs along the cabin floor.

Easier to do when the small traction battery is underneath the rear seats or boot floor though - will be interesting to see how they achieve this with a battery that runs along the cabin floor.

Nothing more than a duct really fed into a pack designed to take air flow. ?

It’s a simple, low cost, low weight solution that seems to work for other EVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Well it's a much larger and flatter surface area that needs to be cooled evenly, and means a lot more air needs to come in without encroaching too much on cabin space.

Looking at the higher resolution images from that press release, it seems there are two fans at the front of the battery with ducting running along the sides. It's not obvious where the air comes from, maybe through the centre console possibly directly connected to the blower unit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement