Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stove falling to bits

Options
  • 22-11-2019 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Grate broken in two, riddler warped and inner door lever snapped off meaning it wont shut properly. Am i wasting my time trying ot get it repaired? Should i just buy a new one, its 8 years old

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,311 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Why risk,it, get a new one

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

fritzelly wrote: »
    Why risk,it, get a new one

Ya, what with the price of getting it repaired,spare parts etc, im as well off getting a new one

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

What were you burning in it? Or was it a bargin stove to begin with?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,311 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Rockfish wrote: »
    Ya, what with the price of getting it repaired,spare parts etc, im as well off getting a new one

I'd be more worried about the risk of CO2 poisoning by your description

• Registered Users Posts: 19,860 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Those spare parts wouldn't come to much. So long as replacing the door latch would makeallow the door to seal properly I'd probably fix it - though seeing it I might change my mind if it was worse than described.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

fritzelly wrote: »
    I'd be more worried about the risk of CO2 poisoning by your description

Why would Co2 poisoning be a worry?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,737 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

easypazz wrote: »
    Why would Co2 poisoning be a worry?

I’m sure he meant CO (carbon monoxide)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

What were you burning in it

Was burning mainly wood and briquettes, why would CO2 poisoning be a worry?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Was burning mainly wood and briquettes, why would CO2 poisoning be a worry?:confused:

That's what I was wondering. Just because the parts are a bit worse for wear does not mean they suddenly starting CO2 or CO fumes.

I've seen battered stoves 100 years old and never heard of people getting sick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Fix it yourself, order the parts watch some YouTube videos. Stoves do need repair grates go on them we’ve had 2 replacements. This year I learned to replace the glass and rope and fixed those myself. Stove is 11 years old burns anything including coal and it’s flying along. Btw you should also have. Carbon monoxide alarm in any room with a stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭listermint

easypazz wrote: »
    That's what I was wondering. Just because the parts are a bit worse for wear does not mean they suddenly starting CO2 or CO fumes.

I've seen battered stoves 100 years old and never heard of people getting sick.

In draughty old houses ...

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Grate broken in two, riddler warped and inner door lever snapped off meaning it wont shut properly. Am i wasting my time trying ot get it repaired? Should i just buy a new one, its 8 years old

The grates multifuel stoves generally don't stand up to anthracite or polish coal, burns too hot.

The mess and cost of replacement would IMO not be worth the hassle of replacing the grate and fitting a new handle.

Had a plumber look at it, just needs a new grate and door latch, have managed to find a grate online, its a Bilberry 5kw stove so i presume the grate will be a standard size? ie the model wont have changed dimensions etc?

Advertisement