Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple TV Eir TV, cant record anything

Options
  • 22-11-2019 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

Afternoon,

Recently got new Apple TV box with eir TV

All going well sound and picture quality so much better than my last tV subscription, even on quite an old TV

Problem i am having is the lack of programs that I can record. Cant seem to record any.

Seems very straight forward to record going by any user guides/FAQ's

But the option to record does not seem to be available on anything i look at.

Maybe i have set up wrong or something.

Anyone else having a similar issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

they don't have recording rights for some channels as far as I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

for pretty much all the channels it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It is very disingenuous of them to not mention this before selling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Rights holders have now monetized personal use home recording ? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AnnieDec

Has anyone had freezing issues with the new Eir Apple Tv... so far the experience for us has been a nightmare... we were without a service for three weeks waiting for the boxes to arrive and now both boxes are freezing... have been on to Eir Support on numerous occasions and have logged the faults and nobody is helping us... any advice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It's a calculated decision. Most people have little need for recording with on-demand and catch up facilities. So they've decided to sod off the cost of provision and licensing for such services.

It'll upset a few customers but they've probably balanced it up to be worth the cost of those lost customers.

They are probably right too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭swoofer

I looked on eir tv website and saw Q & A's. This is what I found!!!

Can I watch one channel and record more than one channel at the same time?

Yes, eir TV utilises cloud technology to enable recording, which means you can record multiple shows while watching another. It gives you the possibility of 500 recording events.

So ???/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

lawred2 wrote: »
    It's a calculated decision. Most people have little need for recording with on-demand and catch up facilities. So they've decided to sod off the cost of provision and licensing for such services.

It'll upset a few customers but they've probably balanced it up to be worth the cost of those lost customers.

They are probably right too.

Not every single programme on every channel is available on a catch up service, hence I would think recording is very important for most people. Also, some of the players and catch up services are appalling as we know. Even on SkyQ, Virgin/TV3 channels are in HD, but the Virgin Player only has the programme's in SD. Thankfully, it's the opposite way round for CH4.

galtee boy wrote: »
    Not every single programme on every channel is available on a catch up service, hence I would think recording is very important for most people. Also, some of the players and catch up services are appalling as we know. Even on SkyQ, Virgin/TV3 channels are in HD, but the Virgin Player only has the programme's in SD. Thankfully, it's the opposite way round for CH4.

It's not though. It's very important to some people. Most people? Not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

swoofer wrote: »
    I looked on eir tv website and saw Q & A's. This is what I found!!!

Can I watch one channel and record more than one channel at the same time?

Yes, eir TV utilises cloud technology to enable recording, which means you can record multiple shows while watching another. It gives you the possibility of 500 recording events.

So ???/

Saw that too, thought i was doing something wrong, or my account was set up incorrectly as i could not record anything

• Advertisement

It's not though. It's very important to some people. Most people? Not a chance.

We'll agree to disagree, because with peoples lives now so busy, most of my work colleagues record what they want to watch and watch it at their own convenience and certainly wouldn't rely on the crap service that the RTE Player is , the Virgin Player marginally better and no BBC iPlayer in Ireland, so recording is still very valuable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Agreed 100%. I tend to only use catch-up for programmes I missed that I didn't know were on. I record for everything else.

We'll agree to disagree, because with peoples lives now so busy, most of my work colleagues record what they want to watch and watch it at their own convenience and certainly wouldn't rely on the crap service that the RTE Player is , the Virgin Player marginally better and no BBC iPlayer in Ireland, so recording is still very valuable.

That's you though. Eir will have done the market research and seen that overall the numbers don't stack up.

Or at least you'd hope that they would.

It is eir after all.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I suspect it has a lot to do with the broader dispute, and the one that one particular provider has made a big issue out of.

Is eir TV a cable television service (like Virgin TV) or a OTT streaming service (like Now TV).

Apparently this matters a lot from a rights point of view, and in particular whether or not existing “must offer-must carry” rules apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Here's the full list you can record from

What channels can I record?
    Some channels cannot be recorded due to rights issues, see below to see the channels available for you to record

eir TV Standard

eir Sport 1
    eir Sport 2
    eir Sport Xtra 1
    eir Sport Xtra 2
    FreeSports
    TG4
    eir TV Plus

AL Jazeera
    Bloomberg
    CNN
    Comedy Central
    Discovery Channel
    eir Sport 1
    eir Sport 2
    eir Sport Xtra 1
    eir Sport Xtra 2
    Euronews
    EWTN
    Fox
    France 24
    FreeSports
    GOD tv
    MTV
    Nickelodeon
    Oireachtas TV
    Quest
    Quest Red
    QVC
    TCM
    TG4
    TLC
    eir TV Extra

Boomerang
    Cartoon Network
    Cartoonito
    Comedy Central Extra
    Crime and Investigation
    Discovery History
    Discovery Science
    Discovery Shed
    Discovery Turbo
    DMAX
    Eurosport 1
    Eurosport 2
    H2
    HISTORY
    Home & Health
    Investigation Discovery
    Lifetime
    Nat Geo Wild
    National Geographic
    Nick Jr
    Nicktoons
    Really
    Sky Sports Racing
    VH1
    Premium Channels

Racing TV

that seems like a decent list

what's excluded?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Kurn

that seems like a decent list

what's excluded?

The most watch channels in Ireland*

RTE 1,2
    Virgin 1,2,3
    BBC ,1,2,4
    CH4
    E4

Based on this list. https://www.tamireland.ie/top-programmes/

Kurn wrote: »
    The most watch channels in Ireland*

RTE 1,2
    Virgin 1,2,3
    BBC ,1,2,4
    CH4
    E4

Based on this list. https://www.tamireland.ie/top-programmes/

Not sure why they bothered facilitating the other channels if they are not going to facilitate the above

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Can you actually not record Rte and BBC?????

Can you actually not record Rte and BBC?????

No, eir think its 1990, not 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Speed_Alive

Bump on this - does anyone know if most channels are still not able to be recorded?

Specifically even, can Match of the Day on BBC One be recorded? That's what I used to record most on the old Sky box at home.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

No, eir think its 1990, not 2020.

RTE 1,2 - RTE are actively blocking this to drive customers to their player app where they monitise their assets
    Virgin 1,2,3: well documented dispute between them.
    BBC ,1,2,4 : BBC wont give cloud recording rights to Irish Broadcasters.
    CH4, E4: Channel 4 have very specific requirements to be able to advertise against their content when its IP delivered. HUGE cost to Eir for next to no return to them.

RTE 1,2 - RTE are actively blocking this to drive customers to their player app where they monitise their assets
    Virgin 1,2,3: well documented dispute between them.
    BBC ,1,2,4 : BBC wont give cloud recording rights to Irish Broadcasters.
    CH4, E4: Channel 4 have very specific requirements to be able to advertise against their content when its IP delivered. HUGE cost to Eir for next to no return to them.

So that eir tv box is nothing more than a doorstop.

No, it’s an Apple TV which is probably one of the best streaming media boxes available provided that you are willing to be locked down to Apple’s ecosystem (I appreciate this is a big issue for some people). But it has no hard drive. No Apple TV has had one apart from the very first (quite a different product).

Eir knew this would be an issue and proceeded with the Apple deal regardless. It’s also an issue for VM whose 360 box is capable of cloud storage of recordings but unlike the Apple it also has local storage to fall back on. It’s a pity the broadcasters are actively blocking what is a great technical advance and a particular pity that VM, whose parent company Liberty Global is promoting the technology, is one of those stopping it in this market for local reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Delta2113

VM can't do cloud storage without permission from BBC etc. as much as they would want to do it so in the Irish market they have to fall back on a hard drive.

So the only real option for decent and reliable recording is Sky?
    Does anyone know if Sky happen to usually have deals in Jan after Xmas or is it usually the same all year around? It's currently 30 p/m from the base package for what I've seen...and that doesn't even include HD...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

So the only real option for decent and reliable recording is Sky?
    Does anyone know if Sky happen to usually have deals in Jan after Xmas or is it usually the same all year around? It's currently 30 p/m from the base package for what I've seen...and that doesn't even include HD...
    I can't understand why people are still so obsessed about recording.

The rte, bbc, virgin players etc all do on demand catch up.

That's enough for me nowadays

I work shift work so it's nice to come home and watch whatever I recorded last night at 8am, such as MoTD like I mentioned.
    But yeah I get that it's an ageing tech that most people don't need.

I always found it awkward to get onto BBC iPlayer for catch up, although I haven't tried in a long time now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I can't understand why people are still so obsessed about recording.

The rte, bbc, virgin players etc all do on demand catch up.

That's enough for me nowadays

Lots of reason. Until recently the RTE player was unusable. Often you would find that what you wanted to watch isn't on the player. So you should have recorded it. Ditto the others. The navigation was dire on the RTE player, and the Horizon box was abysmal. Its improved a lot in the last year, but they've been bad for many years.

• Advertisement

The BBC iPlayer isn’t available in this market (and I feel obliged to give the warning that we do not discuss how to circumvent regional restrictions here). For the BBC therefore recording is the only way to go to time shift programmes. Maybe some day we will get Britbox. Perhaps.

I should emphasise that VM allows recording on all (or nearly all) channels and has a great “backwards EPG” feature that Sky doesn’t have. It’s just that their box is capable of cloud storage but due to broadcaster objections they’ve had to run with a traditional hard drive model here and in the UK whereas in other markets they employ the cloud storage model.

Advertisement