Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fiston gestation

Options
  • 22-11-2019 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

had a cow calf last night, had ai'd her to fiston on 19th jan and accroding to icbf she would have been due around the 3rd of nov so im wondering if its possible she could go so far over with fsz?
    most likely stock bull i guess but i cant remember back if he was in same shad as her and calf is handy sized and last year she had whopper from stock bull so just wondering if she kept to fsz, one for genomic sample i suppose

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,227 ✭✭✭tanko

annubis wrote: »
    had a cow calf last night, had ai'd her to fiston on 19th jan and accroding to icbf she would have been due around the 3rd of nov so im wondering if its possible she could go so far over with fsz?
    most likely stock bull i guess but i cant remember back if he was in same shad as her and calf is handy sized and last year she had whopper from stock bull so just wondering if she kept to fsz, one for genomic sample i suppose

Unlikely the calf is off Fiston. I'd say she came round on Feb 09th and the bull did the job.
    It not impossible tho, Fistons calves are usually small when born.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Fiston is 291 days gestation, so from 19 Jan that's her due on 6 Nov. Yesterday is 21 nov, so she went 15 days over. Strange one alright.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Is 15 days over more likely than 6 day early though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

What breed is the cow, as she would contribute 50% to gestation too.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭annubis

What breed is the cow, as she would contribute 50% to gestation too.
    big partenaise cow, first calf off a pb charolais cow a good few years back now, feck it i will register her as fsz calf and maybe select her for dna ing when the time comes around and see what happens

• Advertisement

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Is 15 days over more likely than 6 day early though

9 months and 12 days if it's the stock bull would be bang on what i'd be expecting for a CH bull.
    9 months and 33 days if it's FSZ Ai would be almost unheard of for a CH bull in my opinion.
    My money is on the stock bull but anything is possible i suppose.

tanko wrote: »
    9 months and 12 days if it's the stock bull would be bang on what i'd be expecting for a CH bull.
    9 months and 33 days if it's FSZ Ai would be almost unheard of for a CH bull in my opinion.
    i wonder when herdplus gives you an expected calving date does it vary according to the bull you have in as sire or do they apply same gestation length to all

tanko wrote: »
    i would agree on the stock bull but for the calf is so handy, jesus her last two calves have been monsters and i have found fiston very easy calved

annubis wrote: »
    i wonder when herdplus gives you an expected calving date does it vary according to the bull you have in as sire or do they apply same gestation length to all

It varies depends on the individual bull i think.
    I've seen Lim Bulls go 9 months and 30 or 31 days, KJB was especially bad but never seen a CH bull do this.
    The genomics tag will tell for certain anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

So did you ever find out who sired the calf??

• Advertisement
Advertisement