Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV regulations

Options
  • 21-11-2019 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi there,
    I live in an apartment block where all common areas are monitored with CCTV cameras. The head of the management company is one of my neighbours and he has access to the recordings. That would be ok if he wasn't so nosy and, it seems, using the footage for his own ends. We feel constantly observed.
    Are there any regulations for the use and viewing of CCTV footage? And how can we make sure that these protocols are adhered to?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This would be covered under GDPR at the very least. Data can only be collected, stored and used for specific purposes. Anyone using it for reasons outside of these specified purposes is in breach.

It's not an uncommon occurrence, FWIW. I have friends who've similarly had members of the committee watching CCTV and asking questions about comings and goings.

My advice would be the next time it's insinuated that he's watching the recordings out of noseyness, to make it clear that what he's doing is not permitted by the Data protection regulations.

If he does it again after that, you make a complaint to the data protection commissioner.

There are loads of other legal areas in which this potentially falls, but the data protection one has the clearest path to make a complaint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

If the CCTV is being used for the declared purpose you have nowhere to go. CCTV is there to observe you. If this person is publishing it or allowing unauthorized access to it you have grounds for action. Suspicion is not enough.

Of course every properly implemented and managed CCTV & GDPR policy should describe the roles of those obliged to ensure compliance ie oversight of security staff etc. Returning serve is usually possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AlexDoe

Thank you for your replies. It looks like all I can do for now is get used to my life in Airstrip One!

Advertisement