Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Hospitals in Galway

• 21-11-2019 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭ buzz11

Some shocking facts in todays online article in City Tribune

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/logic-behind-longterm-plans-for-galway-public-hospitals-questioned/

-It will be a minimum of 6 years before the new emergency department is opened in GUH

-HSE releases a report that recommends a new elective hospital to be operational in 11 years time i.e. 2030 (the report is only recommending, not stating it will happen)

-At Merlin Park Hospital 95 per cent of infrastructure has been classed as ‘not satisfactory or unacceptable’ for current use.

-At University Hospital Galway, 64 per cent of the infrastructure has been found to be problematic or in need of total replacement.

Wasnt there a roof leak in the theatres in Merlin Park forcing them to be closed for over 2 years....

Its appalling how bad the hospital infrastructure is in Galway.... its depressing :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,804 ✭✭✭✭ flazio

Should just buy the Clinic and / or Bon Secours.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,895 ✭✭✭✭ Mrs OBumble

flazio wrote: »
    Should just buy the Clinic and / or Bon Secours.

Neither for sale AFAIK, and both already busy with patients using their insurance to take the strain off the public system.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,778 ✭✭✭✭ zell12

Are they not building a completely new hospital at Merlin?
    I thought that was the medium term plan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭ Storm 10

New A & E going to tender in January and new Maternity to be built at UHG long overdue and as stated will Merlin ever be built

• Registered Users Posts: 23,895 ✭✭✭✭ Mrs OBumble

zell12 wrote: »
    Are they not building a completely new hospital at Merlin?
    I thought that was the medium term plan

Yes. Per the original post,
    a new elective hospital to be operational in 11 years time i.e. 2030 (the report is only recommending, not stating it will happen)

It's a bit of a stretch to call it a new hospital: it's new building and and (perhaps) extensions of the existing one buildings at the existing hospital.

Lots of Ireland was more or less a 3rd world country until it joined the EU. It shows in the hospital system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭ Wompa1

Meanwhile the University has been in a constant build cycle for close to 20 years.

Advertisement