Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OFTEC Courses - Recognition of Oftec post brexit.

Options
  • 20-11-2019 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

This is more a question for plumbers & heating engineers.

I'm considering doing OFT50, OFT105E & OFT101, I'm currently a trade qualified air conditioning engineer, working in the building services sector.
    I end up occasionally working on oil burners in comerical and industrial buildings.
    I don't have as much expeirence as I'd like to have working on oil boilers, and wan't to go and get some further training.

As I understand at present by regulation there is no requirment for specific training, but in industry OFTEC is highly recognized.

Do you guys believe this will still remain the case?

And would there be any other training in oil burners and boilers, recommended?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

If you are serious about a career in Oil fired boilers and appliances, I would suggest doing the Oftec courses.
    Regardless of Brexit, the training and information will give you the standard of workmanship that you should work towards and how to recognise sub-standard installations.
    Personally, I would like to see Oftec in Ireland being recognised in the same way as it is in the U.K.
    Only yesterday I heard of some friend of one of our family had been "tinkering" with his fuel line and as a result has an insurance clean up bill of almost 100k.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jb35a

K.Flyer wrote: »
    If you are serious about a career in Oil fired boilers and appliances, I would suggest doing the Oftec courses.
    Regardless of Brexit, the training and information will give you the standard of workmanship that you should work towards and how to recognise sub-standard installations.
    Personally, I would like to see Oftec in Ireland being recognised in the same way as it is in the U.K.
    Only yesterday I heard of some friend of one of our family had been "tinkering" with his fuel line and as a result has an insurance clean up bill of almost 100k.
    Best of luck.

Thanks for the reply, that clears things up a fair bit. I don't want to go down the road of doing a course, only for QQI (Or some other body) to endorse an equivalent one in a couple of months - but there seems to be no sign of that happening. This is going on for alot of City & Guild courses which meet regulatory requirements, QQI are setting up equivalent courses.

I appreciate it's a great course once delivered by a decent crowd, I mainly wanted to make sure future employers will recognize the training, and given the reputation OFTEC has in Ireland to date, that shouldn't be an issue.

I'll make some plans to get onto Metac or Martin Hogan regarding whats the course schedule for the new year :pac:

I found the OFTEC courses to be really handy and informative well worth doing, but really a good pair of trainers are far far more important to you.

On my first oil job the trainers helped when I found myself being chased at speed around the van by a very small and angry chap trying to throw a bucket of dog poo over me because he unfortunately didn’t like my assessment of his boiler.

Also the trainers became handy again when I had to scarper after I accidentally caused a shopping centre to be dramatically evacuated after I let a small little smidgen bit of black smoke in to the centres heating vents.

Advertisement